PDA

View Full Version : Parsing a micro-laguage to c++ native code

ArchangelUriel
January 20th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I'm trying to use the operator overloading capabilities of c++ (and the #define from the preprocessor) to make the later code to be a valid c++ code.

AUTOMATON(A1) [
STATES [
S(1), // Comments
S(2),
S(3),
FINAL S(4)
]
INPUT [
I(A),
I(B),
I(C),
I(D)
]

TRANSITION [ S(1), S(2) ] WITH [ I(A), I(B) ]
TRANSITION [ S(1), S(3) ] WITH [ I(C) ]
TRANSITION [ S(2), S(4) ] WITH [ I(D) ]
];
The code above is the equivalent of the constructor of an automaton.

I have created the 3 later classes to hold the data.

class states
class input
class automaton
class automaton holds an array of states, an array of inputs and array of transitions.

Any ideas how operator[] overloading can be used to transform this code into c++ native code?

dribeas
January 21st, 2009, 01:53 AM
I'm trying to use the operator overloading capabilities of c++ (and the #define from the preprocessor) to make the later code to be a valid c++ code.
[...]
Any ideas how operator[] overloading can be used to transform this code into c++ native code?

You are up to a really hard task. I am not sure whether even feasible. I will give it a try. Some of the things you might want to know are that operator[] can only take a single argument (and not a comma separated sequence of arguments as a regular function call) and it must be implemented as a member function.You can, and this may help, overload operator, to convert two arguments into a single resulting element.

I have given it a first try:

// class S
struct S {
S( int v ) : v_( v ) {}
int v_;
};

// convert a sequence of S(1), S(2), S(3) into std::list<S> { S(1), S(2), S(3) }
// that is, convert the sequence of comma separated elements into a single argument
std::list<S> operator,( S const & a, S const & b ); // generates the list [a,b]
std::list<S> operator,( std::list<S> l, S const & b ); // appends b to l

Now, operator[] must take a std::list<S> (single argument). But we are left with building an instance of a class that can implement such operator. I will try to find some time tomorrow to research into this, but it is already 2am and the alarm will ring out at 7. Good night.

ArchangelUriel
January 21st, 2009, 06:04 AM
Some of the things you might want to know are that operator[] can only take a single argument (and not a comma separated sequence of arguments as a regular function call) and it must be implemented as a member function.
That was one of my great problems.

You can, and this may help, overload operator, to convert two arguments into a single resulting element.
This gave me a jump-start and destroyed my sleep. It's 7am and I'm still designing... :)

Now, operator[] must take a std::list<S> (single argument). But we are left with building an instance of a class that can implement such operator. I will try to find some time tomorrow to research into this, but it is already 2am and the alarm will ring out at 7. Good night.

To simplify things a bit, I removed the TRANSITION part for now. So we actually remain with:

AUTOMATON(A1)[STATES[std::list<S>]INPUT[std::list<S>]];
Let's create some classes here.

class S{
public:
S(string s) : s_(s) {}
std::list<S> operator[]( std::list<S> l){return l;}
string s_;
};

class automaton{
std::list<S> states_;
std::list<S> input_;
void operator[] (std::list<std::list<S> > l)
{
states_ = *l.begin();
input_ = *l.end();
}
};
I don't know if this is going to work, but using the preprocessor we can create this macros:

#define AUTOMATON(name) automaton ##name
#define STATES tmp_s
#define INPUT , tmp_i

This will give us

automaton A1[tmp_s[std::list<S>], tmp_i[std::list<S>]];
Using

std::list<S> operator[]( std::list<S> l){return l;} from class S, will give us
automaton A1[std::list<S>, std::list<S>];
which shall give us
automaton A1[std::list<std::list<S> >];
which (in a developer's paradise) will give us a new automaton with variable name A1 and two lists with symbols.

Of course, all these are designed by a drunk, tired and out-of-inspiration developer, so probably they are totally wrong.

dribeas, thank you any way for the jump start you gave me. I suppose now I have something to work on. Saludos amistosos desde Grecia.

jpkotta
January 21st, 2009, 08:35 AM
It sounds like you want flex and bison. I have never had the need to figure them out, but this is what they're for. They generate C code, which would be fairly straightforward to integrate, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a C++-specific version. I know there is a Python class that implements flex+bison.

Maybe you could do this with cpp, but that would be beyond preprocessor abuse, and probably not with the syntax you want.

dribeas
January 21st, 2009, 09:51 PM
It sounds like you want flex and bison. I have never had the need to figure them out, but this is what they're for. They generate C code, which would be fairly straightforward to integrate, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a C++-specific version. I know there is a Python class that implements flex+bison.

Maybe you could do this with cpp, but that would be beyond preprocessor abuse, and probably not with the syntax you want.

Completely agree. Parser tools (or even implenting a parser in C++) are probably the way to go if you want to parse the automaton. Now, it seemed as a interesting test of how much you can force the c++ into domain specific languages.

My believe is that it can be done with just a couple of macros, most of them just to insert separators where there are none.