PDA

View Full Version : [other] Anyone still using an obsolete (end-of-life) release?

snowpine
January 20th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Hi gang, here's the deal. I am running Intrepid on my main computers. However, I still have one old laptop running Fluxbuntu RC 7.10. This was the computer and distro on which I learned the nuts and bolts of Linux, so I have a certain amount of nostalgia here. I really just use it for listening to music and general-purpose web browsing; no sensitive personal data or anything.

As many of you know, 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon will be reaching its "end of life" in the next few months. I am debating between these two options:

1) Upgrade Fluxbuntu to 8.04. Pros: long term support through 2011. Cons: 8.04 is slower to boot than 7.10 on this hardware and feels less "snappy."
2) Change my sources.list to 'old-releases' and keep on running 7.10. Pros: 7.10 runs great and is familiar. Cons: no more updates!

Basically I am wondering if anyone is still running an older version of Ubuntu that's past its end of life. What is your experience, positive or negative? Is there anything I am overlooking in this decision?

Just to re-iterate, this isn't my main computer, I don't use it for online banking, no personal files are stored on the hard drive. :)

Dagonus
January 21st, 2009, 12:08 AM
I've got a Compaq TC1000 running 6.10.

I never bothered to upgrade it since even Edgy feels a bit heavy for the system and I even mulled over getting out my 6.04 install discs to set it back. I used to use the system for email, IM and light web browsing, but now It's just a back up for my newer comps. Occasionally I use it for music playing or what not. Nothing major.

My feeling is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Fuzzman
January 21st, 2009, 12:29 AM
if you dont do anything serious with it, i say leave it...

craftybones
January 22nd, 2009, 01:07 PM
Hello,

We are having to use 7.04 for certain reasons. However, I want to continue this thread with a slightly different question. Didn't want to start a new thread.

It seems like old-releases.ubuntu.com throttles bandwidth. Most downloads for packages download fine for a minute, following which the speed of the download drops to 1024b/s. And it never really recovers unless you stop the download and restart.

Can anyone provide more light on why this occurs? This is really hampering the work I am doing at the moment.

Thank you,

craftybones