PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] From configuring to running G++ version 2.95.2 on Ubuntu 8.04.

ahiggin5
January 20th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Hello everyone. First, let me give you some background information about myself and my current situation. I need to use "Supermix," which is a c++ library for a research project I am working on. For other reasons, I require the use of Ubuntu to run other scientific programs.

I was not the person who configured the computer system and I do not know the first thing about running ANYTHING from a terminal. I come here seeking help in getting Supermix operational.

I've done some preliminary work on this issue: the website elucidating Supermix can be found here: http://www.submm.caltech.edu/supermix/. I notice that Ubuntu is not on their list of "system requirements."

My first question is can Ubuntu be used to run any of the prescribed g++ versions listed there (e.g. 2.95.2)? In preparation for a "Yes! Ubuntu can compile and run Supermix if you have the correct version of g++," I have downloaded all the versions listed there.

I do not know the first thing about configuring/building/testing/running a program which doesn't automatically do these things when i click on a .exe file (like in windows). If anyone could please take the time to give me step-by-step instructions on how to do these things so that I can begin playing with Supermix, considering I don't know the jargon of linux, I would be MOST appreciative.

Thanks for your time,
Andrew

ahiggin5
January 22nd, 2009, 05:07 PM
Bump. I haven't stumped you guys, have I?

taurus
January 22nd, 2009, 05:29 PM
How old is that page anyway, talking about RedHat 6 & 7? And besides, the link to download the source, supermix.tar.gz, is wrong--dead link. It should be here.

ftp://ftp.submm.caltech.edu/pub/supermix/

Looks like it is compiling just fine on intrepid running gcc version 4.3.2. Don't forget to install the build-essential package first.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install build-essential