PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Accounts invalid after upgrading from 7.10 to 8.04

ngolian
January 20th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I started an upgrade on my sister's PC last night but I couldn't stay long enough to wait for it to complete and I had to leave it running.

Now, after rebooting, the user names/passwords of her and her husband have become invalid. I'm not there at the moment so I've got limited information, but I can visit later.

I have my own account on it and I used that to do the upgrade. Might it have deleted all the accounts except that one? How do I fix it if there are no valid accounts left?

taurus
January 20th, 2009, 03:35 PM
See if those accounts are still there.

Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

ls -la /home
You can change the password for those two accounts and see if they can log back in again with their username and the new password.

sudo passwd sister
sudo passwd husband
Replace sister & husband with the correct usernames.

ngolian
January 20th, 2009, 05:33 PM
The trouble is you can't get to the terminal if you can't log in!

I've been round now and it turned out things had got a bit confused because the system's a bit cobbled together with 2 HDs, both with Windows and Linux on. The versions still in use are on sda1 (Win) and sdb6 (Lin) but the Ubuntu upgrader must have thought the abandoned Ubuntu installation on sda was important and had made it grub's default. I tidied up the grub config on sdb and reinstalled it to sda's boot block.

But I still don't know why the old Ubuntu on sda wouldn't accept anyone's login, because they always use the same passwords so they shouldn't have been different from what they are now.

taurus
January 20th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I thought you said you have an account on that machine and are able to log in!

I have my own account on it and I used that to do the upgrade.