PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with Installing Dual NVidia video cards

JimiOB
January 20th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Good news. I have finally been able to get Ubuntu 8.10 installed on my Dell XPS 710 system using the Alternate CD from the DVD I got from the latest copy of Linux Journal. The challenge had been that I have an NVidia RAID 0 config but with the Alternate CD it had dmraid preloaded and it installs pretty easily, including installing GRUB and recognizing my preinstalled WinXP system so I can dual boot. Sweet

Now, my newest challenge. I boot in and can do the updates, etc. BUT,,,,I have 2x NVidia GeForce 8800 GTX (768mb each) in SLI config with another $400 graphics accelerator card installed. Yep, that's over a thousand dollars worth of graphics folks. The problem is, I try enabling the NVidia 177 drivers (recommended) and reboot to find myself with the message:
"No resume image, doing normal boot"

Which basically drops me out of gnome and into the term prompt.

Rather than enumerating all the steps I have already tried and the wiki's, etc I have dug through (suffice it to say that I am just about to run through the Alt CD install process for the 14th time, yes, number 14! I have gotten very quickly to be proficient with both the Live CD install and the Alt CD install processes), I'm hoping that someone could shed a little light on what I could do to get my vid card functioning properly.

Thanks!
Jim

dabl
January 20th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Prolly this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1042426