PDA

View Full Version : gain access to the entire system, covertly through vPro

sdowney717
January 20th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Intel chips will allow access to the system and likely governmental snooping

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/39455/128/

Real Big Brother concerns?

Access to the machine through vPro is available via remote connection regardless of the machine's CPU state. It doesn't matter if it's turned on or off, what it's doing or who's using it. And this is where the concern comes in.

Since vPro operates on the main system bus via the Q45 chipset, and on the CPU via Core 2, and we now know that it monitors (at the very least) every keystroke, it theoretically allows access to not only every piece of hardware connected to the system bus, but also to every byte of memory currently in use (even while the machine is running). The motherboard provides access to all hardware including memory, the CPU to special software and compute abilities and communications allows it to send and receive behind the scenes.

billgoldberg
January 20th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Build your own computers to avoid **** like this.

blastus
January 20th, 2009, 03:34 PM
As I understand, for vPro to work you need an Intel Core 2-based processor, a Q45 chipset and an 82567LM network chip. The absence of any one of those components means your machine is not vPro-enabled.

I built all my PCs; my motherboards have P35 chipsets and Realtek network chipsets so I am not affected. My laptop also isn't vPro-enabled.