PDA

View Full Version : Which programming language could help me ?

feras.ws
January 20th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Dear Sirs,

I used to use Ms Windows for about more than 13 years , and finally I decided to move into Linux especially Ubuntu,
I am a desktop application programmer and I would like to program for Linux but I don't know which programming language could help me , so could you please help me in these questions ?
1- does Mono help me to program applications for Linux using .NET?
2- which is the most useful programming language which allows me to program applications for Linux ?
3- when I program for Linux , should I program an application for each versions (Open Suse,Mandriva,Ubuntu) or just one application ?

Waiting your kind reply.

Feras Allaou

MikeSz
January 20th, 2009, 12:55 PM
you may be better off in the Programming talk section rather than absolute beginners as there are plenty of discussions of this nature that will be of help to you. I'm only a notice programmer but I am told that Python is the one to go for where Ubuntu is concerned.

edit - if you go to the main Ubuntu Forum Community, you'll see all the different categories and of of them is Development and Programming

feras.ws
January 20th, 2009, 01:00 PM
you may be better off in the Programming talk section rather than absolute beginners as there are plenty of discussions of this nature that will be of help to you. I'm only a notice programmer but I am told that Python is the one to go for where Ubuntu is concerned.

edit - if you go to the main Ubuntu Forum Community, you'll see all the different categories and of of them is Development and Programming

Thank you very much for your quick reply.I'm sorry for posting it in the inappropriate section , Waiting moderators to move it into the appropriate section .

Feras

MikeSz
January 20th, 2009, 01:05 PM
No problem - I'm glad you like Ubuntu. The community here is second to none and I'm sure you'll get plenty of help in the Development and Programming section - in my experience those boys love a good programming debate!

feras.ws
January 20th, 2009, 01:12 PM
No problem - I'm glad you like Ubuntu. The community here is second to none and I'm sure you'll get plenty of help in the Development and Programming section - in my experience those boys love a good programming debate!

thank you very much ;)

directhex
January 20th, 2009, 01:15 PM

Yes. Install mono-devel on Jaunty, or mono-2.0-devel on Intrepid. Install mono-vbnc (Jaunty-only) if you want a VB.NET compiler (vbnc command), otherwise use gmcs for your C# compiler. Install "monodevelop" for a SharpDevelop-based IDE

2- which is the most useful programming language which allows me to program applications for Linux ?

Whichever language you want to use. Whichever you feel most comfortable with, which allows you to do the most in the least amount of time & effort. A default Ubuntu install includes apps written in C, Perl, Python, C#, and more.

3- when I program for Linux , should I program an application for each versions (Open Suse,Mandriva,Ubuntu) or just one application ?

There should never be a need to do this, unless your app interacts with system-specific things like package management

mtausig
January 20th, 2009, 01:17 PM

1) Yes. Mono allows you to run (a lot of) .NET apps in linux and to create application under linux which (most of the time) also run in windows
2) Depends on what you want to do. 10 people will probably give you 11 different answers to this question. But if you already have some .NET experience, mono is probably a good starting point.
3) No, one application is fine. You, or someone else, might at some point create differen packages out of your software, but that should not influence the source code.

ibutho
January 20th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I'm not much of a programmer but I can help with some of your questions.
Yes, mono can help you develop .net apps for Linux
The most popular programming languages on Linux platforms are C, C++, Python and Perl so you can use any of those to create Linux applications. Pick a language depending on the app and your own experience.
You can create an app on one particular distro, release the source and other developers or distro maintainers can then package your app for their own distro.

feras.ws
January 20th, 2009, 01:43 PM
well thank you all for your replies.
I already installed mono and I programmed a simple program but how can I find it's debug file ?
I found one file caled program_name.exe ! but exe don't work on Ubuntu !!

Regards
Feras

directhex
January 20th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I already installed mono and I programmed a simple program but how can I find it's debug file ?

Regards
Feras

"mono program_name.exe"

Or install the binfmt-support package

Zugzwang
January 20th, 2009, 01:48 PM

Right. You start it with the command "mono <yourexe.exe>" on the terminal.

feras.ws
January 20th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I tried but an error appears
"Cannot open assembly f.exe." !
by the way , GTK means GUI ? or what ? sorry I still begginer .

Regards
Feras

mtausig
January 20th, 2009, 01:57 PM
GTK is a GUI toolkit that is originally written in C. There is a .NET binding called gtk-sharp which is the most popular UI Toolkit used in mono.

feras.ws
January 20th, 2009, 02:08 PM
thank you ;)
another question,I have mono 1.0.0 already installed ,how can I update it?
which command should I use?

directhex
January 20th, 2009, 02:43 PM
thank you ;)
another question,I have mono 1.0.0 already installed ,how can I update it?
which command should I use?

No Ubuntu release has ever contained Mono 1.0

You're confusing the version number from somewhere else

feras.ws
January 20th, 2009, 02:46 PM
it's written in the About section
MonoDevelop ,version : 1.0 :)

directhex
January 20th, 2009, 03:01 PM
it's written in the About section
MonoDevelop ,version : 1.0 :)

Monodevelop is not Mono.

feras.ws
January 20th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Am I so stupid ?
I'm so sorry :( !
mono's website is
mono-project.com ?

Regards
Feras

feras.ws
January 20th, 2009, 03:03 PM
MonoDevelop is an IDE :)
so sorry !

feras.ws
January 20th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I found these packages for installing them
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/firerabbit/ubuntu intrepid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/firerabbit/ubuntu intrepid main
how can I do so ?

Regards.
Feras

SeanHodges
January 20th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Take a look at this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

[Edit] In particular, scroll down to the "Third-Party Software Tab" section.

That site (help.ubuntu.com) is a good source of information for Ubuntu, worth bookmarking.

Kilon
January 20th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Take a look at this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

[Edit] In particular, scroll down to the "Third-Party Software Tab" section.

That site (help.ubuntu.com) is a good source of information for Ubuntu, worth bookmarking.

Agreed , installing from synaptic is far more easier. See the link and if you experience any problems ask again. If you activate all the repositories and type "mono" in the search should find it immediately and then check install and apply and that is it.

feras.ws
January 20th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Thank you all for your assistance , I really appreciate it .
and I'm trying right now , and i'll back to write the result ;)

Regards
Feras

feras.ws
January 20th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Well installing was done successfully
now I have some questions ,Mono is not a program right ? I mean it's just a compiler , so I cannot run it directly , I have to use mono command to open .exe programms right ? and this exe programs probably wrtitten via MonoDevelop , right ?
waiting your assistance .

best Regards
Fears

ajackson
January 20th, 2009, 07:05 PM
If you install the package binfmt-support you can run compiled programs doing a simple

./progname.exe

SeanHodges
January 20th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Well installing was done successfully
now I have some questions ,Mono is not a program right ? I mean it's just a compiler , so I cannot run it directly , I have to use mono command to open .exe programms right ? and this exe programs probably wrtitten via MonoDevelop , right ?
waiting your assistance .

best Regards
Fears

The Mono Project comprises of the entire development platform, from the libraries to the development tools. For example, the "mono" and "mcs" programs are part of the Mono project.

The "mono" program is the runtime environment that a Mono program depends on to run. Similar (but not the same) as the "java" (JVM) program in the Java programming language.

The "mcs" program is the compiler. Which AFAIK is what MonoDevelop uses to compile your programs.

MonoDevelop is an IDE, you don't need to use it to create Mono programs, it exists as a tool to make development easier.

I recommend you read the Getting Started (http://mono-project.com/Start) sections on the official Mono site, and also scan the FAQ (http://www.mono-project.com/FAQ:_General), which has some useful information as well.

mtausig
January 21st, 2009, 10:34 AM
The "mcs" program is the compiler. Which AFAIK is what MonoDevelop uses to compile your programs.

mcs was the compiler used in mono 1.x. Since mono 2.0, the compiler is called gmcs.

SeanHodges
January 21st, 2009, 10:51 AM
mcs was the compiler used in mono 1.x. Since mono 2.0, the compiler is called gmcs.

My mistake, it does explain that in the documentation as well.