View Full Version : Getting a USB soundcard to output 5.1 Dolby Digital sound?

January 20th, 2009, 09:05 AM
First of all, my apologies if I've posted this in the wrong area; I'm kind of new to these forums so I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct subforum for this...

That aside, I recently purchased a USB soundcard for my MythTV combined frontend/backend [from here on out referred to simply as "mythbox" or "the mythbox"] as adding another Hauppauge PVR-500 card took up my last PCI slot.
I also needed to reinstall Mythbuntu due to some complications relating to my main PC dying, me being addicted to IRC, and XChat being nearly impossible to read on my TV screen. There were other details, but they're even less relevant to the problem at hand.
In any case, I'm running the latest version, Mythbuntu 8.10.

Details on the USB soundcard I purchased can be found here (http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec_v2.asp?scriteria=AA72036).

I have a simple cord running from that that goes from a PC audio jack into RCA speakers jacks, and those are plugged into my 5.1 surround sound setup.

With my previous setup [PCI soundcard], plugged said cord into one of the outputs on the card gave 5.1 surround sound.
With the cable plugged into any of the three output ports of the USB soundcard I get either Center audio only [receiver set to "Dolby Digital" setting] or Front Left & Right audio only [receiver set to "Stereo"].

I've spent the last few hours googling this and it sounds like it is possible to make this work with this USB audio device, but everything I've found either hasn't worked or has gone over my head.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this to work?