PDA

View Full Version : Any iPhone 3G user tried Nokia 5800?

amitabhishek
January 20th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I have been using Nokia E61i for a while and now I am kind of bored with it. I am planning to get a new phone. Two phones have been on my mind Nokia 5800 and iPhone 3G. Can anyone please tell me esp. someone who has used iPhone first, about the experience of Nokia 5800.

jimmy the saint
January 20th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Just a heads up, at this time the iphone is pretty useless with Linux unless you want to install itunes in wine or a VM.

amitabhishek
January 20th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks! I don't mind using Windows once in a while, I was talking about overall user experience.

PartisanEntity
January 20th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I have not used the Nokia you mention, but as an iPhone 3G user, while it is nice and flashy, it suffers too many constraints. From what I have seen, I probably would have chosen the T-Mobile G1 had it been available at the time.

billgoldberg
January 20th, 2009, 08:40 PM
If I was you I would get the palm pre (youtube it).

It looks better than the iphone and is linux based, so it shouldn't have any compatibilty problems.

Plus everyone has an iphone.

jeyaganesh
January 20th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Palm Pre looks better than Nokia tube. It is better to wait for Nokia N97 that scheduled for March end release.:popcorn:

codyBane
January 20th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I have not used the Nokia you mention, but as an iPhone 3G user, while it is nice and flashy, it suffers too many constraints. From what I have seen, I probably would have chosen the T-Mobile G1 had it been available at the time.

Palm Pre looks better than Nokia tube. It is better to wait for Nokia N97 that scheduled for March end release.:popcorn:

A friend with an iPhone commented the same as PartisanEntity - nice & flashy but not much else by the way of comparison.
Nokia has always been it for me, but would be interested in the T-Mobile possibly.
Cheers. Cody

kernelhaxor
January 20th, 2009, 11:46 PM

It looks better than the iphone and is linux based, so it shouldn't have any compatibilty problems.

its not in the market yet .. even the price hasn't been officially announced, only rumors & speculations exist

hyperyoda
January 21st, 2009, 03:11 AM
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

doorknob60
January 21st, 2009, 03:19 AM

Lol, that's pretty funny, not a bad phone either.

amitabhishek
January 21st, 2009, 10:39 AM

Blocked in our office :(

Thanks for the input, Palm Pre is surely on my drool list but I guess it wont hit Indian shores until end 2009 or may be even mid 2010.

I am fed up with that Symbian UI (after iPhone and Pre it doesn't look interesting anymore) and looking for a change. Windows Mobile doesn't impress either because to perform a simple task you have to go through a myriad of menu clicks. Its slow and has a task manager to close applications :(.

But still I wanted to know if Nokia had done something extra with this so called iPhone killer, sadly looks like it didn't. Due to the nature of my work I need mobile connectivity with Microsoft Exchange server. Apple has a brilliant iPhone client for this. So I guess in spite of its bottleneck iPhone remains a winner!

starodub
January 27th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I've tried to work with 5800 for a several minutes, and it was enough to understand that 5800 doesn't have things because of what I've gave up using phones-with-hardware-buttons. Other posters may tell you about better functionality of 5800, but I'll tell you about not-easy-touch-usability of 5800 (it have resistive sensor). I was looking not just for an apple, but ease of use, for a device that would let me type messages as much as I want, but with hardware buttons you have to stop every time yor fingers got tied. Screen with capacitive sensor (like iphone have and the new palm is said to have) reacts even if a drop fell on a screen from your hair after a shower, and if you're typing a message at the time, it may type a letter if it fell on a virtual keyboard' button. It's true. With 5800 it's not enouth to touch, here you have to press, and that's what stopped me bying it. By the way here in Russia many people who have purchased 5800 from the start of sales (december 2008) say there are several issues with the device (missing contact with speaker, creaky body).
So if you want Nokia's functionality, and don't want to pay for it too much (I'm not talking of money), there are two things to wait for
1)acoording to russian printed media, Nokia is going to fix issues with the phone body approximately by the summer 2009 (there are currently three screws and one clip holding front panel instead of four screws...)
2)(it sounds like an idle fancy, but why not? ) I'd wait for some Nokia touch-screen device with capacitive sensor...

plb
January 27th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I have the 5800 and love it...I've experienced none of the issues the above poster mentioned though there was just a firmware release about a week ago..so perhaps those issues have been addressed? As far as creakiness I haven't experienced that or know anyone who has so not sure about that one...not even sure what would creak on the device. The touch screen works fine and I find it very responsive it's true it's not a capacitive screen such as the iPhone but resistive. The reason being is that many asian countries rely on handwriting recognition which you cannot get with a capacitive screen. My girlfriend has the iPhone which I don't really like though it's better in some areas such as web browsing but not by much imo. The speakers on this phone are ridiculously loud...probably the loudest I've ever heard. The one issue at the moment is that there are not many applications for the Symbian 5th edition yet but they are coming in each day so it's not that bad. BTW, n97 will have the same screen size and whatnot as the 5800 but also a hefty pricetag; sources online say it's going to be around $800. Also, rumor has it, there is a new iPhone due out soon so you might not want to go out and purchase the 3G just yet.

plb
January 27th, 2009, 10:40 PM

That's true but you have to wonder if Apple is going go after Palm for patent rights which may cause a delay?

amitabhishek
January 28th, 2009, 06:13 AM
That's true but you have to wonder if Apple is going go after Palm for patent rights which may cause a delay?

This will be a dead blow, if Apple succeeds in its intentions. More here (http://infotech.indiatimes.com/News/Is_it_an_end_for_iPhone_wannabes/articleshow/4037376.cms).

Keith_Beef
March 30th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I've had my Nokia 5800 for a couple of weeks, and on the whole I'm very happy with it.

My previous phone was a very basic Nokia with calendar but no bluetooth. I had a Palm Tungsten T5 as well, and that would synchronize with the Outlook calendar and address book that I have to use at work.

I was looking for a small format, but with a decent screen size. Slide-out keyboards or cursor keys on the front panel would make the device too big or take up screen area.

In the family, we've had three basic Nokia phones in the past, my wife has had two Motorola phones. The Nokia models were more solid, though the removable face plates on my last phone did not seal against dust at all well... required opening and cleaning about every three weeks.

Anyway, the combination of bluetooth, big screen, compact size, handwriting recognition, WiFi, GPS and Micro SD slot made the 5800 my choice.

I bought it from NewEgg, and updated the firmware to version 20 the following day.

I'm having a few problems converting AVI videos to MPEG-4 or H264 (in an mp4 file) for the phone, and I don't yet have handwriting in any script other than Latin (so I can't write in Russian, Greek, Korean or Japanese yet).

I've not tried to sync calendars or contacts with a Linux app, nor exchange files by bluetooth, but USB works fine, and the micro SD card can go in a full-size SD adapter is the cable is missing. The 5800 has a micro USB connector and the supplied cable is about 55mm long... my main computer is in a tower case, and using a USB connector at the rear would leave the phone dangling from the cable.

I'm not a fan of cell phone cameras, but I'm happy with the quality of the 5800's two built-in cameras. Considering the size of the optics and sensors, the images are quite good.

I've not played with an iPhone, but then from what I've read about them they are so locked-down that I would quickly become frustrated.

And I won't buy a phone plan: I buy minutes up-front for $100 a time, and that lasts me all year, a plan at around $30/month is far more expensive. An iPhone without a plan would have cost far more than the Nokia 5800.

A drawback is the charging... Nokia should have made this charge from a USB cable, but decided to keep to an old-fashioned jack.

K.

james347
May 1st, 2009, 11:44 AM
I have been using Nokia E61i for a while and now I am kind of bored with it. I am planning to get a new phone. Two phones have been on my mind Nokia 5800 and iPhone 3G. Can anyone please tell me esp. someone who has used iPhone first, about the experience of Nokia 5800.

Dear amitabhishek,

i know one such website which has put up an exciting comparison between Apple Iphone & Nokia 5800. This site has given 20 reasons why Nokia 5800 is preferred over Apple Iphone. Do check this exciting comparision before finalizing any phone -

Nokia 5800 V/s Apple Iphone (http://www.tube5800.com/20-reasons-why-nokia-5800-is-better-than-apple-iphone/)

pwnst*r
May 1st, 2009, 02:47 PM
I have not used the Nokia you mention, but as an iPhone 3G user, while it is nice and flashy, it suffers too many constraints.

not jailbroken then

pwnst*r
May 1st, 2009, 02:48 PM
Dear amitabhishek,

i know one such website which has put up an exciting comparison between Apple Iphone & Nokia 5800. This site has given 20 reasons why Nokia 5800 is preferred over Apple Iphone. Do check this exciting comparision before finalizing any phone -

Nokia 5800 V/s Apple Iphone (http://www.tube5800.com/20-reasons-why-nokia-5800-is-better-than-apple-iphone/)

again, a lot of that list is n/a w/ a jailbroken iphone.

Depressed Man
May 1st, 2009, 03:55 PM
This will be a dead blow, if Apple succeeds in its intentions. More here (http://infotech.indiatimes.com/News/Is_it_an_end_for_iPhone_wannabes/articleshow/4037376.cms).

Apple already has problems on a multi-touch patent from a company from Taiwan (thus proving that patenting an idea like multi-touch is retarded).

again, a lot of that list is n/a w/ a jailbroken iphone.

The problem with jailbreaking a phone is, the moment you update your firmware on the iPhone your jailbreaking needs to be redone. In some cases your work needs to be redone.

GoodPanos
May 2nd, 2009, 10:30 PM
I would stick with Nokia. There are so many awesome phones coming out from Nokia like the 5800, N97, E75, E63, E71. All great phones and also work with Exchange too.

halovivek
May 4th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Hi
i am using nokia 5800 but i dont know how to install applications on that. i am waiting for that one to do

james347
May 11th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Hi
i am using nokia 5800 but i dont know how to install applications on that. i am waiting for that one to do

Hello My Dear Friend,

To install application on your nokia 5800, you have to copy the .sis file on your pc and transfer it to your memory card with the help of usb cable. just open the .sis file from your nokia 5800 and your chosen application would be installed.

Check Other Nokia 5800 Applications (http://www.tube5800.com/category/nokia-tube-5800-applications/)