PDA

View Full Version : SciTE, You are Dead to Me

A Loft
January 20th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Life is good with gedit. It works. It edits. It saves. Did I mention it saves?

So, at the end of a Rails project that I took on to learn more than making the db go whirr, I finally get to have some fun. I'm crafting regex.

No, no, no. Crafting regex sucks in a thousand different ways. What's fun is that I'm surfing the usual video sharing sites, grabbing every url I can get ahold of, and modding a regex match that works really well for each site.

As video sharing sites are just chock full 'o flash, I'm saving early and often. Why, oh why, does the YouTube choke you, oh great and wonderful Ubuntu? But, I digress.

Perhaps thinking that, at the end of this project, I could finally call myself an "amateur coder", I decided to invest some hard drive space this afternoon on an IDE/editor that would give me some shortcuts. I built the entire website in gedit, I deserve some auto-indent love, don't I?

And, so it was, as I was surfing the various video sites, that I found myself editing my model in SciTE. Wait, not just editing, editing with regex to parse the user-entered urls and spit out a usable url to display the video. Type, save, test. Type, save, test.

Man, was I cranking through the sites. Type, save, test. I even did the butter churn it was going so well! Type, save, test.

Whoops! Lockup closing a video. Go figure. Well, poke it in the eye and start 'er up again. No harm, no foul.

There we go. Back up and, OH MY FRACKING GOD! WHERE'S MY MODEL??!!??

SCITE DELETED MY MODEL!!! IT DELETED MY MODEL!!! Not just the stuff I was working on when it locked up, THE ENTIRE FRACKING MODEL!!!!!!

The file is there, it's just empty. All the work over the last weekend? Gone.

Oh, but my friend, my faithful friend gedit. You, you have saved me once again. Your autosave and my distrust of all things "new to me" have kept the model prior to this afternoon, and all the regex I worked out in you as my faithful notebook.

Never again, my love, never again will I look to a fancier model with bigger *****. If you and I cannot do it together, then we will never do it again.

slavik
January 20th, 2009, 06:26 AM
umm, have you tried looking for files ending in '~' ???

jmartrican
January 20th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Why is it after a long post the goal becomes giving the shortest possible response.

A Loft
January 20th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Yes. Thankfully, gedit does that.

SciTE? Nah. It just deletes the contents of the entire file.

slavik
January 20th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Yes. Thankfully, gedit does that.

SciTE? Nah. It just deletes the contents of the entire file.
err, that's a first :(

(I don't use SciTe regularly)

Have you tried searching google? maybe SciTe creates some other backup?

A Loft
January 20th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Magic 8-ball (google) says, "Get a Job" which I interpret as "no". :D

It's OK. Between the gedit backup and my notes (which I kept in gedit) I can rebuild it fairly quickly. It's just one of those things.

It needed a rant, I ranted, and hopefully I'll save someone a trip down the same lane. Actually, hopefully I'll know enough about it someday to fix the problem.

We now return to your regularly scheduled Ubuntu goodness. :p

sujoy
January 20th, 2009, 08:08 AM
errr thanks man, i was wondering if i should try out scite and see whats different from geany!! but guess i am not gonna do that anytime soon ...

wmcbrine
January 20th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Why, oh why, does the YouTube choke you, oh great and wonderful Ubuntu?Blame Adobe.

trivialpackets
January 20th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I have used scite quite a bit, and never experienced this. Not saying user error, but I've never experienced it. With that said, I prefer geany and only use scite rarely now.

SeanHodges
January 20th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Poor SciTE. All it wants is to be loved, but instead it's condemned to being picked up on street corners for one-night stands, only to be abandoned the next day for the wife.

Nobody will take the time to understand it :(

slavik
January 21st, 2009, 12:44 AM
HAHA! +1 (too bad the thanks feature is AWOL :()

linuxisevolution
January 21st, 2009, 12:48 AM
I wrote almost all my sites in gedit and seamonkey ( the ones in my signature. )

Mousepad, gedit, featertab, nano ... It's all good. ;)