PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with Slowed/Stopped downloads

Rogue Yun
January 20th, 2009, 06:04 AM
I Use Ubuntu 8.10
I have a wireless 5xxx Atheros 802.11 card that I recently got working.
If you need any other information please let me know and I'll do my best to provide it.

When I try to download updates, or something from "Add/Remove...", "Synaptic Package Manager" or even in terminal, I get about a 30% Success rate. The other 70% my 60kb/s goes to 300B/s and/or stops. This is a very frustrating problem. Any help I can receive on this would be much appreciated as I have searched for a solution for a couple days in my spare time and have come up with nothing. Thank you, in advance.

Craig

diablo75
January 20th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Probably has nothing to do with your wireless adapter or network, and more to do with the specific servers you're getting your updates from.

Try this:

Click System>Administration>Software Sources.

Enter your password.

Look for the "Download From: [some server name is here]" box.

Click on that box, and it will open up. Click on Other...

The server I prefer to use (because it's almost always lightning fast) is the http://ubuntu.osuosl.org/ubuntu within the United States listings. But if you live somewhere else you should browse to try and find a server that's close to you.

Alternatively, at this point, you can click on a button that says Select Best Server. This will ping them all and pick the one that replies quickest. After you select a different server and click Close, you'll have to click the Reload button. Once this is all done, try applying your updates again.