PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video Driver Installation

debri
January 20th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Hi, I just installed Ubuntu 8.10 desktop. I tried to install the restricted NVidia driver after that from the System->Administration->Hardware Drivers menu, but nothing happened. I had a working internet connection as well.

I checked the community forums at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia. It says "Ensure that the linux-headers-XXX and linux-restricted-modules-XXX packages are installed, where XXX matches the version of the kernel you are using (linux-image-XXX)." What paths should I be checking for these packages? Are they supposed to come with the default installation or be downloaded via the web? Or what else might be going wrong?

Thanks.

ronelc
January 20th, 2009, 05:46 AM
I'm having the same problem as yours. You can check some of the replies in my post. Maybe it can solve your problem.

debri
January 20th, 2009, 10:07 AM
From your post it sounds like you already installed the NVidia driver 177, but it did not work with your newer video card. I'm still trying to install NVidia driver 177 right now.

My video card is an older GeoForce 6150 LE listed as supported so hopefully it will work with driver version 177.

debri
January 20th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Well at some point an update option for various things became available in the menu bar. After installing the updates, I was also able to install the NVidia driver from the system->administration->hardware drivers menu. Not sure why the updates were not available earlier . . .