PDA

View Full Version : give me a break!

Herman
January 20th, 2009, 05:22 AM
:lolflag: Look what this guy's blogging about Ubuntu Linux,

Take a break! (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/askjack/2008/dec/18/linux-gnome-break)

18 Dec 2008: Leslie Naylor is annoyed because his Linux PC keeps insisting he takes a break, and locking up the screen

dasunst3r
January 20th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Gimme a break! Gimme a break! Break me off a piece of that Kit Kat bar!

jrusso2
January 20th, 2009, 05:36 AM
I don't get it why did he set the take a break if he doesn't want it? Why not turn it off?

Noblacktie
January 20th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Noblacktie is annoyed because his wife keeps nagging him to stop smoking, and throws away all his ciggarettes.

Noblacktie is planning to file a bug report because the only way to disable this feature is to uninstall his wife completely.

aceinthenight
January 20th, 2009, 05:44 AM
I thought you had to configure that on your own in the first place...

Herman
January 20th, 2009, 05:53 AM
I found that link in a site where I was reading some hype about the new Windows 7.
This was a sub-link from the original site I was reading.
It looks to me like the author is doing a 'send-up' of Linux, implying that Ubuntu computers are prone to going out of control and engaging in weird behavior problems and will do thing spontaneously against the users will.
I wonder if any Windows users actually believe that kind of rubbish.
It was written mainly for hard-core Windows fans I presume.
Notice how quickly the blogg was locked so no Linux user can reply. (LOL).

myusername
January 20th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Gimme a break! Gimme a break! Break me off a piece of that Kit Kat bar!

thats immediatly what i thought this thread was about. great minds like kit kat

halovivek
January 20th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I am also thinking to take break for 2-3 days. For past 3 months i am just doing something in ubuntu and getting problem and solving. i have posted one thread for this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1035048).

stopie
January 20th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Noblacktie is planning to file a bug report because the only way to disable this feature is to uninstall his wife completely.

You think a bug report may help other spousal problems, or just the problem of deleting critical system resources like cigarettes?

Noblacktie
January 20th, 2009, 10:05 AM
You think a bug report may help other spousal problems, or just the problem of deleting critical system resources like cigarettes?

Actually, I am just looking for an excuse to try install another distro :D

stopie
January 20th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Actually, I am just looking for an excuse to try install another distro :D

I'd be too afraid of getting a rootkit or something if I did that. Especially considering some of the distributors! Not to mention it might be the fist case where a dual boot wouldn't work.

Noblacktie
January 20th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I'd be too afraid of getting a rootkit or something if I did that. Especially considering some of the distributors! Not to mention it might be the fist case where a dual boot wouldn't work.

Dual-booting should be possible, as long as you don't suggest simultaneous boots.

But you're right. Root-kits and possible conflicts with my current system are why I only run other distributions in VirtualBox.

Firestem4
January 20th, 2009, 10:40 AM
double post

Firestem4
January 20th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Dual-booting should be possible, as long as you don't suggest simultaneous boots.

But you're right. Root-kits and possible conflicts with my current system are why I only run other distributions in VirtualBox.

You can never let the other distro's know they're there!

A comment about the actual thread...Thats kind of stupid..Obviously the guy knows that you can set the features of this lock-up (he mentions it, like seriously

The "take a break" feature is part of the Gnome desktop. You can control it by going to System Preferences, selecting Keyboard Preferences and going to the Typing Break tab.)

So he must OBVIOUSLY know how to turn it on and off. so much for a tech guy.

stopie
January 20th, 2009, 12:23 PM

Yep, and WINE for all of those dirty programs you need to run from a source that 'doesn't really exist.'

myusername
January 20th, 2009, 12:33 PM
just remember to use a firewall