PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] web sites that hate linux users

offchance
January 20th, 2009, 05:05 AM
I am getting really tired of sites like netflix.com or obamiconme.pastemagazine.com that disable their features based on what operating system the user is running.

I have a browser that has Flash and all the plugins. I can watch things at youtube.com, play shockwave games, the whole nine. But for some reason, some guy in a distant office who was put in charge of making a website thought to himself, "You know what? Linux: don't care for it. I'm going to make this site completely useless for everyone who didn't pay for their operating system!" They actually did extra work to make their sites exclusionary. They purposefully blocked an entire segment of users for no apparent reason.

I don't know why they do it. I don't know when it will stop. What I do know is that they are making a huge mistake by casting off the Linux community.

/rant

jrusso2
January 20th, 2009, 05:07 AM
I would not put Netflix on that list. I hear they have a Mac OS X beta out of the instant play and are working on a Linux one as well.

offchance
January 20th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I had Netflix a while back but me and my girlfriend had Ubuntu and OSX machines (respectively) and could not use any of the online services that we paid money for. And why? Why was their site development not cross platform? I can not believe that something that works for Windows on the World Wide Web that uses cross platform software would not work on either of our computers without some measure of human interference.

glotz
January 20th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Just don't visit such sites. They're stupid and evil.

offchance
January 20th, 2009, 09:11 PM
But I need to watch movies and make Obamatizations of myself!

But seriously, there are more than just these two. I've tried to apply to jobs online that had Linux-blocking web sites, things like that. These most recent episodes are the ones that sent me to the forums, though.

estyles
January 20th, 2009, 09:29 PM
My wife uses Netflix all the time, and I haven't heard any complaints from her... She's been running Ubuntu for over 6 months, and trust me, she couldn't go a day without checking her netflix queue, much less 6 months.

karaya1
January 25th, 2009, 01:01 AM
I believe the problem lies in the instant watch movies. Is your wife watching instant watch movies, or just updating her Queue?
Thanks

estyles
January 25th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I believe the problem lies in the instant watch movies. Is your wife watching instant watch movies, or just updating her Queue?
Thanks

Oh, I see, yeah I guess that's a problem. I never would have thought about instant watch movies, because why watch on a 22" screen when we can watch on a 50" screen? =) It's not like we run out of movies and need them right away.

Add Turbo Tax to the list of sites that hate Linux. If you log in, it tells you that you're not using a supported OS, and sometimes when I click Continue, it just goes right back to the beginning and I get the warning screen again. Somehow, I got through by clicking buttons in a certain order - don't ask me what that was...

offchance
January 31st, 2009, 06:40 AM
Add Turbo Tax to the list of sites that hate Linux.

I discovered that one today as well. H&R Block has an issue with Linux, but they let you off with a warning and allow to use the rest of their site at your own "risk." I used the HRB site for '07 and '06 returns and had no problems (or warnings about Linux) on those occasions.