PDA

View Full Version : Google taking over the internet with Gdrive

morph999
January 20th, 2009, 04:42 AM
http://www.tgdaily.com/html_tmp/content-view-41094-140-1-1.html

Gdrive is an online storage device. We're ******. Here is what I think is eventually going to happen. You're going to need a key to get on the internet and you'll have to go through google to get it. Since future computers will have no harddrive, only thing you'll be buying is a device that automatically connects to google because that device will register you using the key that is embedded into the device. The device will also know who you are and online anonymity will be a thing of the past. I'm guessing many content providers will also jump on board with this too. So basically it'll be linux community vs MGM, Google, Msft, and basically every huge content company out there.

Skripka
January 20th, 2009, 04:46 AM
http://www.tgdaily.com/html_tmp/content-view-41094-140-1-1.html

Gdrive is an online storage device. We're ******. Here is what I think is eventually going to happen. You're going to need a key to get on the internet and you'll have to go through google to get it. Since future computers will have no harddrive, only thing you'll be buying is a device that automatically connects to google because that device will register you using the key that is embedded into the device. The device will also know who you are and online anonymity will be a thing of the past. I'm guessing many content providers will also jump on board with this too. So basically it'll be linux community vs MGM, Google, Msft, and basically every huge content company out there.

The only people crazy enough to think cloud computing is really a good idea are CNET authors.

FuturePilot
January 20th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I hate the idea of cloud computing.

morph999
January 20th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Gdrive will eventually put MSFT and Linux out of business unless Linux can find another way. Think about it. You'll need a key granted by Google to get on the internet and you'll use only Google operating system. Where does that leave Linux and Windows? You could use them offline but who is going to do that? Google is plotting the end of Msft and linux. I love linux and that's why I hope the linux community is aware of this.

Noblacktie
January 20th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Why would you need Google to get on the Internet?

Google isn't my ISP. It isn't my OS. It isn't my hardware vendor. It isn't all the servers that run my favourite sites.

As much as it appears that way, Google is not the entire Internet.

blueshiftoverwatch
January 20th, 2009, 05:45 AM
If your worried about privacy couldn't you just encrypt the information stored in your Google Gdrive like you can encrypt the information in your computers hard drive?

morph999
January 20th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Why would you need Google to get on the Internet?

Google isn't my ISP. It isn't my OS. It isn't my hardware vendor. It isn't all the servers that run my favourite sites.

When everyone switches to online storage, what do you think is going to happen. First of all, computers won't be shipped with hard drives anymore. ok, so think about that. How are you going to get online without a harddrive? The device that you buy will have to propietary just like the iphone where you can only use one service. Why would Google who in the future will control hard drives allow MSFT and Linux to compete with them? I sure as hell wouldn't. If I were Google, I'd release propietary devices that can only get only get online by connecting to the Google webpage and with a key that registers you. Can't you see where it's going? If your harddrive is already online, why would you need Linux or Windows?

morph999
January 20th, 2009, 06:08 AM
If your worried about privacy couldn't you just encrypt the information stored in your Google Gdrive like you can encrypt the information in your computers hard drive?

The problem with that is that now that your harddrive is online, the Google operating system will have to approve all encryption software so it will have to go through them first. I have control of my harddrive right now so I don't need anyone's permission but once you start using an online harddrive and online operating system, you are at their mercy.

CarpKing
January 20th, 2009, 06:17 AM
This is where anti-trust legislation kicks in. Much of what you describe is much more anti-competitive than even Microsoft's current practices.

Of course, if the goal is merely to eliminate anonymity, an open specification for cloud computing that any company could implement and offer to users (who couldn't get on the Internet otherwise) would not be subject to anti-trust suits.

Grant A.
January 20th, 2009, 06:18 AM
...Read up on anti-trust laws...

1) Google is a HUGE supporter of Free and Open Source Software.
2) ISPs, Microsoft, and various companies would sue Google.
3) This is meant for the man on-the-go who needs a quick place to store files so he can access them at any time on any computer around the world.

Quick tip: Computers will always have a means of storing data, as you need an storage device to use a computer, otherwise it is a non-functional piece of scrap metal. Here's the twist of your story: the "device" would have to be some sort of storage device for your computer to work.

Cloud computing isn't meant to steal our freedom at all, it's just meant as a means of mobile storage to any computer with internet.

Please people, take your conspiracy theories and tin foil hats elsewhere. The last thing a supporter of Linux needs is more FUD.

lykwydchykyn
January 20th, 2009, 06:27 AM
You are assuming, of course, that everyone will go for this. Seeing as our ability to consume disk space far exceeds the rate at which we increase internet bandwidth, it doesn't seem likely.

Frankly, I can't see people buying hardware that was basically worthless without an internet connection. And I can't see businesses wanting to drag their data across the cloud when in-house storage is so cheap.

Look, I bet within five years even a low-end netbook will have a half terabyte drive in it. Why would I want to surrender my entire computing existence to the cloud when I can carry it in my pocket? Most people I know are not gallavanting about across the country and suddenly needing a file from their home computer.

Skripka
January 20th, 2009, 06:31 AM
You are assuming, of course, that everyone will go for this. Seeing as our ability to consume disk space far exceeds the rate at which we increase internet bandwidth, it doesn't seem likely.

Frankly, I can't see people buying hardware that was basically worthless without an internet connection. And I can't see businesses wanting to drag their data across the cloud when in-house storage is so cheap.

Look, I bet within five years even a low-end netbook will have a half terabyte drive in it. Why would I want to surrender my entire computing existence to the cloud when I can carry it in my pocket? Most people I know are not gallavanting about across the country and suddenly needing a file from their home computer.

Especially when there are 16+GB thumb flash drives.

.arean
January 20th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Please people, take your conspiracy theories and tin foil hats elsewhere.

For realz. 60% of the US population is still on dial-up with no access to broadband (including mobile broadband) and I would estimate at least half of the computing world is in the same boat. These numbers would have to change drastically before any of this cloud computing stuff starts to become a reality, and given the current speed of the broadband movement, they aren't likely to change much for quite a few years.

Noblacktie
January 20th, 2009, 06:51 AM
All your base are not belong to Google.

Seriously.

mrgnash
January 20th, 2009, 08:06 AM

3) This is meant for the man on-the-go who needs a quick place to store files so he can access them at any time on any computer around the world.

Quick tip: Computers will always have a means of storing data, as you need an storage device to use a computer, otherwise it is a non-functional piece of scrap metal. Here's the twist of your story: the "device" would have to be some sort of storage device for your computer to work.

Cloud computing isn't meant to steal our freedom at all, it's just meant as a means of mobile storage to any computer with internet.

Please people, take your conspiracy theories and tin foil hats elsewhere. The last thing a supporter of Linux needs is more FUD.

Word.

Giant Speck
January 20th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Does everyone use Gmail?
Does everyone use Google Docs?
Does everyone use Google as a search engine?
Does everyone use Google Chrome?

The answer to those questions is the same answer to "will everyone use GDrive?": No.

Take your over-hyped conspiracy theories somewhere else.

chucky chuckaluck
January 20th, 2009, 08:27 AM
"hal, this dave. sign me up!"

y@w
January 20th, 2009, 08:30 AM

Because not all computing is done on a laptop. Businesses need data to be accessible to users in their office, on their cell phones, at home, etc.. You don't have to go across the world for it to make it not cost-effective to have to drive back to the office to get a file or contact information.

"Cloud computing", or whatever label we choose to place upon it, is just a means to allow us to be more mobile and have a bit more freedom. If you think it's evil then don't use any of those services.

wersdaluv
January 20th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I hate the idea of cloud computing.
Why?

halovivek
January 20th, 2009, 09:07 AM
If Gdrive comes the impact will be negative more. The privacy may lost. since even Google will index your personal file and it may share. So it is one kind of evil.

SunnyRabbiera
January 20th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Didnt we discuss this before with Chrome?

mihai.ile
January 20th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I don't understand what is with you about the cloud things...
I mean I tested Dropbox, it's quite nice but it has one flaw and that is it doesn't support automatic encryption of files when sending them with a private key.
I think this is how gdrive or whatever will work, but hey if it get's really popular open source implementations for the client will pop up and those will support automatic encryption of files.

In the mean time you can always right click->encrypt file before putting it onto the web drive, no big deal. No need to say that they won't allow it or stuff like that. an encrypted file is exactly the same as an unencrypted one, just bits going through the wire...

Firestem4
January 20th, 2009, 10:29 AM

+1 my good sir. I strongly agree.

Google has been doing some iffy stuff lately IMO and i have lost a little faith in them. Though they still remain much more transparent, open, and free than other company.

mips
January 20th, 2009, 10:58 AM
* Shakes head at idiotic conspiracy theories *

HavocXphere
January 20th, 2009, 11:12 AM
If you want to be scared about something w.r.t. clouds, I'd suggest looking at MS OS's with tight cloud integration.

I can't wait for gdrive. Holding thumbs for proper privacy-friendly ToS/legal to go along with it.

Paqman
January 20th, 2009, 11:15 AM
When everyone switches to online storage, what do you think is going to happen. First of all, computers won't be shipped with hard drives anymore. ok, so think about that. How are you going to get online without a harddrive?

This doesn't follow.

Laptops will always have to have some storage, as they can't guarantee to have a connection to the internet. At home, people are more likely (IMO) to start using network storage than online storage. People already are to a degree, look at how popular external storage is, and it's a short hop from sharing a USB hard drive to a NAS. The growing integration between PCs/consoles/media centres pretty much demands networked storage.

Online storage is a convenience, but it doesn't spell the end of local storage, and it certainly doesn't preclude you from booting. My desktop is currently dead, and i'm using an old machine with no hard drive. Ubuntu LiveCD + 2GB flash drive works just fine for getting online.

kinematic
January 20th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Lets assume the worst will become reality and Google will be the only way to connect to the internet....I can already see Nelie Smit Kroes getting ready to kick some Google a$$.

But seriously, as someone said before, this is meant for people on the road who need mobile storage. Stop with the conspiracy theories and spewing fud about how Google will be the one and only way to get online. It's not gonna happen.

Tristam Green
January 20th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Naw, they just have full copies of it at every datacenter they own in case of nuclear holocaust :lolflag:

mips
January 20th, 2009, 12:20 PM
"hal, this dave. sign me up!"

lol

HAL-9000 (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0706937/): Dr. Chandra, will I dream?
Dr. Chandra (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000837/): I don't know.
~
HAL-9000 (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0706937/): What is going to happen?
Dave (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001158/): Something wonderful.
HAL-9000 (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0706937/): I'm afraid.
Dave (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001158/): Don't be. We'll be together.
HAL-9000 (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0706937/): Where will we be?
Dave (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001158/): Where I am now.

Circus-Killer
January 20th, 2009, 12:29 PM
okay, i haen't read the whole thread, just too many replies and not enough time (or at least ive already wasted enough time at work) ;)

anyways, this whole idea of online storage wont effect us that much. as someone said, its mainly for the man-on-the-go who will want a document available to him wherever he goes (Even tho im pretty sure that a laptopt does that too). oh, and before someoen sais a laptop is more expensive, he still gonna need a machine to get to his document. anyways, as said, its for documents for people on the go. i cant see people deciding to store the moviez/music/bedroom pics on an online storage device. the bedroom pics because of privacy, but the other two are because of bandwidth.

some of us aren't fortunate enough to have quick connections. and those of us who do, have severely crippling caps. any otherwords, whilst your dream of having these cheap *** machines with no harddrive and stuff, it would cost you hundred times more just transferring your data back and fourth.

also, whose gonna want to be dependent on cloud computing. your isp has a problem and suddenly you cant retrieve the most simplest of documents. you dont currently need an internet connection to view a word document, why would i want to change that so that i am dependent on a connection just to do anything.

ultimately, cloud computing is one of those fads that will eventually fade away.

CrazyArcher
January 20th, 2009, 12:38 PM
In order to replace a local HDD, stuff like Gdrive will have to be able to load the files to my RAM at least as quickly as an old ATA disk or a DVD (if we're talking about long-term storage) - which surely aint gonna happen with current network bandwidth. People don't have optic fibers connected to their apartments yet.

billgoldberg
January 20th, 2009, 01:16 PM
When everyone switches to online storage, what do you think is going to happen. First of all, computers won't be shipped with hard drives anymore. ok, so think about that. How are you going to get online without a harddrive? The device that you buy will have to propietary just like the iphone where you can only use one service. Why would Google who in the future will control hard drives allow MSFT and Linux to compete with them? I sure as hell wouldn't. If I were Google, I'd release propietary devices that can only get only get online by connecting to the Google webpage and with a key that registers you. Can't you see where it's going? If your harddrive is already online, why would you need Linux or Windows?

I don't know why you think that everyone will switch to online storage.

That will never happen.

Local storage is cheap, faster and easier.

cb951303
January 20th, 2009, 01:21 PM
@morph999, where do you get the idea that cloud computing will rule the world?

geoken
January 20th, 2009, 02:54 PM
When everyone switches to online storage, what do you think is going to happen.

This thread is on to it's fourth page and I haven't seen anyone say they would switch to exclusively online storage (if that's even technically possible).

Your entire argument is premised on an assumption that this thread clearly disproves.

Giant Speck
January 20th, 2009, 03:09 PM
This thread is on to it's fourth page and I haven't seen anyone say they would switch to exclusively online storage (if that's even technically possible).

Your entire argument is premised on an assumption that this thread clearly disproves.

Well, I'd use it. I wouldn't switch to exclusively using it, but hell, I'd use it, especially if it was free. Considering that it's Google, it probably is free.

geoken
January 20th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Well, I'd use it. I wouldn't switch to exclusively using it, but hell, I'd use it, especially if it was free. Considering that it's Google, it probably is free.

I'm not saying I wouldn't use it, I already use Gspace, but no one in here seems willing to run on OS installed on it as their primary system.

MikeTheC
January 20th, 2009, 03:53 PM
There are many decaffeinated brands on the market which taste just as good as the original.

morph999
January 20th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I'm back. The article is on Digg now. Check this out....let me know if you agree or disagree with my theory.

I was thinking, did you know that google is buying these massive storage containers in different locations of the world. It's basically a humongous harddrive that stores internet data. They are buying lots and lots of them. I think they are trying to basically store the entire internet on those storage devices. So get this, if they store the entire internet on those devices and lets say you open a free Gdrive with Google and lets say you found a video online that you want to store, so you copy the video to your Gdrive but in reality, you don't copy anything, all it really would be is a hyperlink to that video since Google already has it stored on their drives. That's why you hear about Google doing lots of indexing of files. I think that's what they are going to do. Try loading up a random webpage and what do you see...if you check your firewall, you'll likely see something called "googleanalytics". Most of every websites that I've seen has that googleanalytics.com on it too and I think it's archiving the information to those big massive storage devices. It all makes sense now. People were saying how could I store a 2 GB video on a Gdrive, the upload speed would be so slow, it take forever but if Google had the entire internet stored on it's storage locations, it would just be simple hyperlink. It would appear to us that we just copied it and most people will be fooled into thinking that it was copied, but in reality it will be a hyperlink to the video. What do you think?

morph999
January 20th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I know most of you wouldn't go for it. YOu are too smart for that. What you need worry about is the stupid females. Am I for facebook? Hell no but is it successful right now? yeah. Am I for Myspace? No, but it's successful. Everyone here is intelligent and I know most of you wouldn't go for this but there's a lot of idiots out there who hear "free storage" and they go for it. Women love free stuff so what are you going to do when 50 million women flock to google and use their free online storage? Guess what. Harddrives just went out business. So much for online freedom huh. It doesn't matter what the 15 % do (us), it matters what the sheep do. And Google is betting on them going for it and you know what, I think they'll pull it off.

Skripka
January 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I know most of you wouldn't go for it. YOu are too smart for that. What you need worry about is the stupid females. Am I for facebook? Hell no but is it successful right now? yeah. Am I for Myspace? No, but it's successful. Everyone here is intelligent and I know most of you wouldn't go for this but there's a lot of idiots out there who hear "free storage" and they go for it. Women love free stuff so what are you going to do when 50 million women flock to google and use their free online storage? Guess what. Harddrives just went out business. So much for online freedom huh. It doesn't matter what the 15 % do (us), it matters what the sheep do. And Google is betting on them going for it and you know what, I think they'll pull it off.

I think it would be easy to find out where you live--look for news articles about "Local Tin-Foil Shortage Devastates Local Cooking".

Giant Speck
January 20th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I think it would be easy to find out where you live--look for news articles about "Local Tin-Foil Shortage Devastates Local Cooking".

Oh, God! Does that mean the Reynolds Wrap ladies will be out of jobs?

http://www.ecookbooks.com/images/PRODUCT/medium/04750.jpg

Skripka
January 20th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Oh, God! Does that mean the Reynolds Wrap ladies will be out of jobs?

http://www.ecookbooks.com/images/PRODUCT/medium/04750.jpg

Mwaahahahaaa...Suck it Martha Stewart!!!

'Tis a shame we don't have the "Thanks" feature back yet.

Dragonbite
January 20th, 2009, 04:31 PM

Using TrueCrypt, the encrypted "parition" is a file that can be moved back-and-forth and can only be opened with computers running TrueCrypt.

Plus, While Google may implement an online storage system (something very handy indeed), that doesn't mean we'll be booting up thin-clients to Google anytime soon.

But being able to store files online is going to be very handy, plus they probably have a backup/contingency plan better than mine with enough redundancy that if one hard drive dies then nobody looses a thing (unlike my current home set-up).

Plus, if Google sets up an OS you boot in from the computer you know dime-to-dollars that some Linux hacker will figure out how to reset the hardware to go to a different location and then there will be the Ubuntu Online edition that you boot into and have an alternative Linux running on your drive!

Plus don't discount what Microsoft, Apple, IBM, Sun, Red Hat, Novell, Canoncial, China, Russia and all the other powerful organizations have to loose with handing over their INDUSTRY to Google! It ain't going to happen!

MikeTheC
January 20th, 2009, 04:31 PM
i think it would be easy to find out where you live--look for news articles about "local tin-foil shortage devastates local cooking".

+1

noriek
January 20th, 2009, 04:33 PM
It's the ruddy women! Of course, it's all so obvious now!! It started with Eve and the fall of man and now they're destroying the internet. Anyway, I suspect if morph99 deleted all the porn off his hard disk he'd have just over a floppy disk's worth of useful usable data. Let be honest now!

Rocket2DMn
January 20th, 2009, 04:43 PM
This thread has gone way downhill, so it's being closed.