PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] On Aspire One, Wifi Issues

Modred189
January 20th, 2009, 04:38 AM
SO I am trying to install Kubuntu on my Acer Aspire One. I got the OS installed and all updates are in. However, when following the instructions here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne
I get to the end of the first set of instructions (and nothing has happened in terms of pop-ups or alerts to new wireless card availability) and it says
"you may have to append ath_pci to /etc/modules"
Ok, so I need to add a text document to /etc/modules that contains the code that followed. But there is no such folder I could find.
SO I did some digging and tried to make it by doing this:

cd /etc
mkdir modules

But it said it existed. wtf!?

Modred189
January 20th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Anyone?

niranjan
January 20th, 2009, 05:45 PM
modules is the name of the file in folder /etc/
run

sudo gedit /etc/modules
and append ath_pci at the end.

Modred189
January 20th, 2009, 05:52 PM
modules is the name of the file in folder /etc/
run

sudo gedit /etc/modules
and append ath_pci at the end.

I typed in

sudo gedit /etc/modules

it asked for my password and spit out

sudo: gedit: command not found

timcredible
January 20th, 2009, 08:37 PM
i think all i did was install linux-backports-modules via synaptic and reboot to get wifi working on my granddaughter's aspire one using 8.10.

however, if you continue on with your steps, gedit isn't available because you're running kubuntu (kde window manager) instead of ubuntu which uses gnome. gedit is a gnome app. i don't know what editor kde uses, maybe someone else reading this thread knows?

neu2buntu
January 22nd, 2009, 12:33 AM
kate is the default text editor in kubuntu,as far as i know. heres a post i did and it gets wifi working on ubuntu 8.10 on the aspire 1.,so maybe it will work in kubuntu also http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1012973

Modred189
January 23rd, 2009, 11:47 PM
Thanks, trying now. I assume that I just replace gedit with kate on the instructions?

Modred189
January 24th, 2009, 12:01 AM
OK, big improvement, but for some reason the kubuntu network manager is acting weird and not letting me/giving me the option to enter my network key...

Modred189
January 24th, 2009, 12:16 AM
got it! Thanks!
After some fiddling in the network manager, it's up and running. Thanks so much!!!
(it ID's my network as having WPA encrption when it is actually WPA personal, whatever the difference is...)

neu2buntu
January 24th, 2009, 04:54 AM
was offline there man,... glad u got it working, did u need the wifi fix in my post or did u sort it another way(this will be usefull to anyone folliwing this post)