PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cant get the Nvidia card thing to activate.

starcrunchy
January 20th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Im sorry if this is the wrong place to post this issue.

I just built a new compute and felt like a new OS. I got the new 8.10 Ubuntu and installed/updated it. After a few minutes on youtube i knew that i had to make it do all the crazy compiz things but i could not get the stupid Nvidia (177) thing to show a green light.. what should i do? Im a Linux n00b mind you so I'll try to do w/e i need but i might need a little more patience then normal.

Thanks!:KS

starcrunchy
January 20th, 2009, 07:40 AM
So i dug around and found some more people with my problem but i hear that with ubuntu its a case by case situation.

When i type in jockey-gtk -l i get this:

xorg:nvidia-173 - NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version 173) (Proprietary, Disabled, Not in use)
xorg:nvidia-177 - NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version 177) (Proprietary, Disabled, Not in use)

Iv been poking around and i think everything is installed like it should be but the green light don't wanna turn on. :(

starcrunchy
January 22nd, 2009, 06:20 AM
Well, long story short i don't have any patience and nobody here helped me so i figured it out myself.. better in the long run? i guess.

Thanks kinda.

chinli1688
January 28th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I have the same problem with the new Ubuntu 8.10 installation, The activate command did not really download and install the 173 driver, so the device stay inactive. However, I update the new system through Update manager, after 200+ updates, the "activate" command works, and it spend a couple of minutes to download the driver and install the device drive, and I can change the screen resolution to higher setting.

Hope this help.

Chin:p