PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu questions

stonewall12345678
January 20th, 2009, 03:55 AM
I do not own nor have i ever used Ubuntu at all but i am intrgued by it.

What is the best pmp to use with Ubuntu?

What is the best way to get movies and music on my pmp?

Is there something like Windows Media Center for Ubuntu?

Note: I've heard of Mythbuntu or whatever its called and im looking for an app that can run on regular Ubuntu.

Are there any tv tuners that dont work on Ubuntu?

Does Ubuntu have touchscreen support?

Note:This does not affect me, im just interested in whether it does or not

Tatty
January 20th, 2009, 04:09 AM
MythTV is probably what you want for your media centre. Mythbuntu is basically just a customised ubuntu distro with mythtv integrated out of the box.

MythTV is in the repos - its pretty easy to install if you install the mythbuntu control centre first, then let that install and configure it for you.

There are lots of TV tuners that wont work in ubuntu as they dont all have linux drivers. You may want to do a bit of research before buying one. I have a nova-t 500 dual DVB tuner, though it took me a bit of googling to find a howto on how to install the driver. (I would post it here but I seem to have lost the link)

Yes it can work with touchscreens, ive seen a few interesting youtube vids of people running ubuntu with a touchscreen.

EDIT: There is also the Linux Media Centre Edition (Linux MCE) which is very similar to windows media centre. However from my limited personal use of it, it was a little bit slow and buggy on my machine. I believe you need to invest in some made-for-purpose hardware if you want it to function well.

stonewall12345678
January 20th, 2009, 04:13 AM
but i thought Myth TV was another OS completely.
forgive me if im wrong

Tatty
January 20th, 2009, 04:19 AM
but i thought Myth TV was another OS completely.
forgive me if im wrong

No, MythTV is just a linux TV/PVR application. Mythbuntu is basically a variation (flavour) of ubuntu, which comes with MythTV pre-installed and a few other tweaks.

Afaik, all the parts of mythbuntu are in the official ubuntu repos, so switching between a standard Ubuntu install and a Mythbuntu install is nothing more than installing/uninstalling a few packages.

stonewall12345678
January 20th, 2009, 04:27 AM
can i put recorded video onto a pmp (what would be ur suggestion for a pmp with Ubuntu)

Tatty
January 20th, 2009, 04:35 AM
can i put recorded video onto a pmp (what would be ur suggestion for a pmp with Ubuntu)

Im not sure to be honest, I dont have any experience with them myself. I imagine some will work, and others wont.

If you can find one that acts as a simple media storage device then that should work fine.

However, if it deliberately uses a proprietary system to transfer/store its files then it might be a bit trickier. Your best bet is to try googling specific devices to see how well supported they are.