PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Slow internet after updating from 8.04 to 8.10

TheApe
January 20th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Hi!

I have recently upgraded my ubuntu from version 8.04 to 8.10.
There are some bugs with compiz, but nothing critical.

What is boring me is the internet connection. Before the upgrade I didn't have downloads slower than 200kbps, now I can't get more than 15kbps.
Besides that, every time I turn on the computer I have to reset the modem(It's a cable modem) and request the IP via dhcpclient.

I've tested with a live cd and the connection works fine :(

Any clues?

Thanks a lot!

x33a
January 20th, 2009, 03:51 AM
probably you haven't configured the dns properly.

post the contents of /etc/resolv.conf

AliTabuger7
January 20th, 2009, 04:14 AM
I'm not an expert in networking by any means, but I don't see how poorly configured DNS might effect speeds. I always thought it would effect latency and connectivity.

Instead, I would look to drivers for your ethernet card, or maybe even reconnecting the ethernet cord on either end.

One helpful thing might be to try a
"ping google.com" and see if the latency bounces a lot, or if it takes a long time for it to resolve it to an IP.

You mentioned you need to get a new IP from your router every now and then. Perhaps ever since the upgrade you have been occupying the same IP as another computer on your network. You might try changing the IP to something static using the network connection manager new in 8.10.

TheApe
January 20th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Here goes the resolv.conf

# Generated by NetworkManager
domain virtua.com.br
search virtua.com.br
nameserver 201.6.0.113
nameserver 201.6.0.115

TheApe
January 20th, 2009, 02:41 PM
One helpful thing might be to try a
"ping google.com" and see if the latency bounces a lot, or if it takes a long time for it to resolve it to an IP.

PING www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net (69.147.76.15) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from f1.www.vip.re1.yahoo.com (69.147.76.15): icmp_seq=1 ttl=58 time=174 ms
64 bytes from f1.www.vip.re1.yahoo.com (69.147.76.15): icmp_seq=2 ttl=58 time=175 ms
64 bytes from f1.www.vip.re1.yahoo.com (69.147.76.15): icmp_seq=3 ttl=58 time=175 ms
64 bytes from f1.www.vip.re1.yahoo.com (69.147.76.15): icmp_seq=4 ttl=58 time=169 ms

You mentioned you need to get a new IP from your router every now and then. Perhaps ever since the upgrade you have been occupying the same IP as another computer on your network. You might try changing the IP to something static using the network connection manager new in 8.10.
Ali, I'm connected directly to the internet. It's a little bit impossible that a IP conflict is happening.

I feel that something is limiting my connection and don't know what it can be.

Thank's for the replies!

x33a
January 20th, 2009, 04:41 PM
which software are you using to download?

if it's torrents, then you might not have a properly forwarded port.

TheApe
January 21st, 2009, 03:39 PM
which software are you using to download?

if it's torrents, then you might not have a properly forwarded port.

I'm downloading stuff using http. The internet connection is slow at all. FTP/HTTP/TORRENT.
I tested with the live cd and it was extremely faster.
As I said, it feel like something is blocking the traffic...

Visum
February 16th, 2009, 01:30 AM
I'm downloading stuff using http. The internet connection is slow at all. FTP/HTTP/TORRENT.
I tested with the live cd and it was extremely faster.
As I said, it feel like something is blocking the traffic...

I have a similar problem with Ubuntu 8.10. Download speeds almost come to a stop or time out. I am pretty sure that it has something to do with drivers because I also have Ubuntu 8.10 installed via Sun VirtualBox. It is as a guest of my Windows XP Professional OS on the same hardware, and speed has been normal.