PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] how to increase audio level? (+db) ubuntu / rhythmbox

capleton
January 20th, 2009, 01:46 AM
I am using a dell inspiron e1505 laptop and rhythmbox for podcasts. While the audio level is decent, it is not as loud as I would like. I've checked ALSA volume control, and everything is maxed out. Is there any other way to increase the decibel level? Thanks in advance

capleton
January 20th, 2009, 02:09 AM
bigupibump

capleton
January 20th, 2009, 08:24 AM
bump

capleton
January 20th, 2009, 08:25 AM
anybody?

Subban
January 20th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Afraid I can't help but I have noticed that I have to turn the speaker volume up considerably further in Ubuntu than in Windows. Its been like that as long as I can remember though and have just lived with it (for about 3yrs that I've had Ubuntu as almost virtually my sole desktop)

stderr
January 20th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Are you actually using ALSA? Have you tried raising the volume level under System -> Preferences -> Volume Control?

capleton
January 20th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Thank you for the responses!

Afraid I can't help but I have noticed that I have to turn the speaker volume up considerably further in Ubuntu than in Windows. Its been like that as long as I can remember though and have just lived with it (for about 3yrs that I've had Ubuntu as almost virtually my sole desktop)
Really? unfortunately my situation is the exact opposite. The speakers on my laptop are much softer in ubuntu than in windows. However, in windows I used foobar2000 that includes db control on songs.

Where could i go to suggest to add replay gain support to rhythmbox?

Are you actually using ALSA? Have you tried raising the volume level under System -> Preferences -> Volume Control?
I'm almost positive that I'm using ALSA, when I right-click the icon in the panel and go to 'open volume control' it says right at the top HDA Intel (ALSA mixer) it's also selected under file>change device that being said, i don't know how to check via command prompt...

I'm starting to wonder if the only solution is to go out and buy speakers :sad:

Subban
January 21st, 2009, 09:33 AM
Thank you for the responses!

Really? unfortunately my situation is the exact opposite. The speakers on my laptop are much softer in ubuntu than in windows.
I'm starting to wonder if the only solution is to go out and buy speakers :sad:

I think you misunderstood or I wasn't clear, Ubuntu is quieter for me than windows too. I have external speakers as this is a desktop and it is those that I am commenting on so it may not help you to buy new ones.

capleton
January 21st, 2009, 12:42 PM
I think you misunderstood or I wasn't clear, Ubuntu is quieter for me than windows too. I have external speakers as this is a desktop and it is those that I am commenting on so it may not help you to buy new ones.

I see. The laptop that I got has really good speakers built in that can handle quite a bit of decibels, but unfortunately ubuntu is running way to soft to really utilize them. If i get external speakers, then I could just turn the volume up on those, but it is a huge hassle. I wish there was another way!!!!!!!