PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell Inspiron 6000 Random Lockups

ttilberg
January 19th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Hello everyone. A friend had suggested that I knock on the door of the forum for support. Sorry to bother, but I can't seem to find too much more information on my situation. I posted this on launchpad, and haven't heard anything.

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop running Intrepid. Sometimes it randomly locks up. It's not a total freeze, but here are the details:

It's not a total freeze, but gnome-panel mostly locks up:
--Menus will be highlighted, but doesn't register clicks. After you click, and move the mouse out of the hotspot, the menu continues to register as a highlighted menu, however it does not display any of the contents.
--Launchers can be clicked

--When a program opens, it does not register MOST keyboard or mouse, except when I double click the title bar to max/reduce. It does still max/reduce. I was also able to click the "save" icon in openOffice last time I had this problem.

--Windows cannot be resized, or moved, only max/reduced.

--Alt+F2 to open a term does not work.

At first I thought it was a gnome-panel bug, based on the menu highlighting stuff, now I think it's more broad, based on other broken things (resizing of windows, alt+f2 run shortcut)

I downloaded the Live Install off the main server. I first came across this problem the very first minute of running Ubuntu on this laptop, before I could make any changes to anything... I am certain it isn't anything regarding anything I've installed on top.
At first I figured it wouldn't happen after it goes through the update process. That didn't seem to help either.

It continues to be entirely random, from when I'm switching windows, launching applications, adjusting volume (the Inspiron uses digital buttons for volume control) or brightness (where the brightness overlay pops)... It just randomly happens.

Sometimes ctrl+alt+bkspc works, and other times it does not, and requires a hard boot.

As a fresh linux user, I would love for this to be remedied! Let me know what I can provide to help the community. It happens about once a day or more.