January 19th, 2009, 11:49 PM
This is odd. I have this piece of code:

AnalyzerBase<?,?> analyzer = null;

// Lots of stuff...

analyzer = new MVAnalyzer((Integer)opts.valueOf("n"));
if (opts.wasDetected("r"))
((MVAnalyzer)analyzer).setMultLimit((Float)opts.va lueOf("r")*1000000);

// ... so on

Now, MVAnalyzer "extends SparseAnalyzerBase<Byte, MVAnalyzer.MVRecord>" which "extends AnalyzerBase<I, T>". So our inheritance is OK according to Eclipse.

Netbeans doesn't like this at all. I get a complaint of

/home/eneva/ActorFeeder/src/vptools/analyzer/Analyzer.java:177: inconvertible types
found : vptools.analyzer.AnalyzerBase<capture#945 of ?,capture#446 of ?>
required: vptools.veikkaus.mv.MVAnalyzer

This is really annoying, as I am migrating the project over from Eclipse and I don't quite understand why an "instantiated" subclass of AnalyzerBase<?,?> is not something you could cast an AnalyzerBase<?,?> to anymore... :(

Eclipse is Ganymede and Netbeans is 6.5, both newest. System javac is 1.6.0_10; both should use it as far as I know...

CptPicard
January 20th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Well, ok, Netbeans stops whining when you remove the generics from AnalyzerBase altogether and just use a raw type. In Eclipse it produces a warning...

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do;jsessionid=f12572fdfacfaffffffff8eb858 a796997eb?bug_id=4916620

Strange mismatch in behaviour anyway, and I like Eclipse's way of treating it better, as I can see situations where Netbeans' way of going about it *is* going to produce problems.

EDIT: Ok so I'm an idiot, it's a compiler setting that treats unchecked generics operations either as warnings or errors...

jespdj
January 20th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Eclipse is Ganymede and Netbeans is 6.5, both newest. System javac is 1.6.0_10; both should use it as far as I know...
Eclipse does not use the Java compiler that's installed on your system; it has its own built-in Java compiler, based on IBM's Jikes (http://jikes.sourceforge.net/) Java compiler.