PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] my ubuntu dosn't like to travel

shafi
January 19th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Dear All,
I don't know why my laptop hang when ever I carry it in my bag and after that I am not able to use it because its totally hanged.
I can login to desktop but after that only the mouse cursor is working but with out any functionality, I need to press the power and shut it down.
I also try to restart the gdm through the recovery mode , but still I had the same problem.
I though it might be the hardware problem, but the stupid windows works with out any problem.
Its strange because if I use it in my room it works like a charm.
any idea?

this is my VGA:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Thanks.

yknivag
January 19th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Do you shut down before you move your laptop or do you suspend/hibernate?

johnjohn2
January 19th, 2009, 11:55 PM

The other halfs Lappy does exactly the same!

Disabling hibernate was the only solution

shafi
January 20th, 2009, 01:40 AM

No I always shut it down before moving , I have never put it on hibernate or suspend.

yknivag
January 20th, 2009, 02:18 AM
No I always shut it down before moving , I have never put it on hibernate or suspend.

I'm not sure then how you correct the issue by "holding down the power key to turn it off".

Does it "crash" on startup? Does if work then "crash"? Does it work ok in your home location? Have you tried booting at home with no network plugged in - does it do the same?

cariboo
January 20th, 2009, 05:10 AM
I'd pop the cover off of the hard drive and make sure it is properly seated.

Jim

shafi
January 21st, 2009, 08:44 AM
I'm not sure then how you correct the issue by "holding down the power key to turn it off".

Does it "crash" on startup? Does if work then "crash"? Does it work ok in your home location? Have you tried booting at home with no network plugged in - does it do the same?

If I shut it down manually it will hang again , I should wait exactly for one hour, some times fix and sometimes I could not use it anymore.
No , I have never tried with out network plugged, because it connects automatically to the wireless.

I also think there might be something wrong with the network plugged, because its searching for a connection and then hang.

yknivag
January 21st, 2009, 11:12 PM
If I shut it down manually it will hang again , I should wait exactly for one hour, some times fix and sometimes I could not use it anymore.
No , I have never tried with out network plugged, because it connects automatically to the wireless.

I also think there might be something wrong with the network plugged, because its searching for a connection and then hang.

That was along the lines I was thinking, maybe it is freezing waiting for the network when you're not a home...