PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is there a media server that can stream Hulu / Youtube / CBS, etc?

HunterK
January 19th, 2009, 09:27 PM
One program that I found very handy in windows was MediaMall "PlayON" software. It is windows media server that "broadcasts" hulu / youtube / CBS / ESPN, etc streams to network media devices. (XBOX and PS3!) I was able to browse and play the content of the sites directly on my ps3. The media mall server basically downloaded the video and cached it on the windows PC and then streamed it to the PS3.

http://www.themediamall.com/playon/

I miss this awesome little app now that I am on Ubuntu. Is there anything like this in the open source world?

Fife3951
February 3rd, 2009, 12:20 PM
I've been looking all over for the same thing... or someone that has PlayOn running through linux. No such luck, as WINE does not work with it.

Thought about trying virtualbox - but I don't really want to have to do that on my laptop.

Howie29
February 5th, 2009, 06:30 PM
It's still in alpha status, but I currently use it on my Ubuntu, MacOS, and AppleTV. It's worth a try, go to www.boxee.tv and register. Give it a try, I think you'll like it. It's based of XBMC (XBox Media Center) and runs great on all my systems. They have a wide variety of channels already configured with the availability to extend yourself, or add video RSS feeds.

chrisgreasy
September 28th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Bump, I would love to get playon to work even If its Virtualbox guest of winxp. Ive tryed and failed, any help would be great.