PDA

View Full Version : Wow! What a distro

dninja
January 8th, 2005, 01:49 AM
Wow, I've tried yoper, slackware and gentoo on my tosh laptop with wireless card and this is the only one which has actually picked up and configured the whole lot as part of the setup process.

My only complaint is the amount of packages installed by default. It is going to take me ages to remove all the gnome stuff I'll never use!

jdodson
January 8th, 2005, 01:53 AM
My only complaint is the amount of packages installed by default. It is going to take me ages to remove all the gnome stuff I'll never use!

HA! usually people complain the other way... that there are not enought packages. :D

do you by chance use kde?

Quest-Master
January 8th, 2005, 02:02 AM
I must agree with jdodson here.. :P

Ubuntu amazes just about everyone that comes around to it too. ;)

dninja
January 8th, 2005, 02:08 AM
I am a developer and going through a minimal period at the moment so I am using fluxbox/vim/mutt etc. I like things fast and slick and I've never got to like either kde or gnome.

I'm more than happy with the number of packages, I just would have liked to have been asked about which to install, especially things like the cd burning extensions to nautilaus have been installed when I don't have a burner.

Having said all that I may leave gnome on for a while to see what it is like. I know already that it takes a lot longer to start up than fluxbox used to when I had gentoo on here.

Another well done, very impressive!

poofyhairguy
January 11th, 2005, 02:55 AM
I am a developer and going through a minimal period at the moment so I am using fluxbox/vim/mutt etc. I like things fast and slick and I've never got to like either kde or gnome.

I'm more than happy with the number of packages, I just would have liked to have been asked about which to install, especially things like the cd burning extensions to nautilaus have been installed when I don't have a burner.

Having said all that I may leave gnome on for a while to see what it is like. I know already that it takes a lot longer to start up than fluxbox used to when I had gentoo on here.

There is a way to install Ubuntu without that stuff:

http://www.binonabiso.com/en/Ubuntu-miniRAM-HOWTO.html

dninja
January 11th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Thanks for that, I'm tempted to re-install but I'm going to have a play first and see how it all runs then do it if necessary.

jdodson
January 11th, 2005, 05:56 PM

Another well done, very impressive!I am a developer and going through a minimal period at the moment so I am using fluxbox/vim/mutt etc. I like things fast and slick and I've never got to like either kde or gnome.

Report Bad Post IP Edit/Delete Message

i use fluxbox and vim as well. makes for a slick desktop.