PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New edimax EW-7108PCg card with Debian driver on CD - How to install?

jwathome
January 19th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I've recently bought this wireless card which should be Ubuntu compatible as it has a Debian driver in a tar.gz file (see attached file). I'm running version 8.10 (Hardy?)

I've used the command: tar xfvz <attachment name>, but did not get any result and have I have no idea what to do next(or instead).

Any help is much appreciated.

jw

PS - The Windows Wireless drivers (as suggestions by the Help function) did not work

Bill Carr
February 7th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Hi,jwathome.
Old thread this so guess you've solved this already.
Anyway, for someone who hasn't.....here's my experience of just 24 hours with Linux !
Firstly....This card has a driver within Ubuntu....so no more searching required.
Secondly......I installed Ubuntu twice 'cos it dropped out after downloading the latest security update. Each time I installed, the wireless card was unrecognised but began to work after being out of the machine for about ten minutes while I looked up the details on the Net and then re-inserted. Chip inside holding details for a while ? ( Windows driver maybe ? ).
Weird, or what.
Cheers
Bill Carr