PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sound disappeared

EnigmaJC
January 19th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Hi everyone. I'm having a problem with my sound. Everything was fine and then the other day I turned on my laptop and there was no sound whatsoever. The sound icon in the toolbar has a little "no" symbol over it and when I click on it I get two error messages "The volume control did not find any elements and/or devices to control. This means either that you don't have the right GStreamer plugins installed, or that you don't have a sound card configured." And "No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found". I don't know why the plugins would have suddenly disappeared. I haven't made any changes and the only different thing I did before this happened was that I tried to sync a bluetooth headset to the laptop the day before (which was unsuccessful) and since I didn't manipulate any files or code I can't imagine that did it. I would really appreciate any help you can give me. I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 which was factory installed on my new Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop. I'm a totally newbie at this so please be as descriptive as possible in your reply. Thanks so much!!!