PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] graphical display missing on live session

reldon
January 19th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Hello,

I am trying to set up a dual boot on my Windows system but have run into a snag.

When I boot my computer using the Ubuntu live DVD it gets to the place where the desktop screen would show but then goes blank. My monitor shows a VGA signal but nothing is displayed. I can get to a terminal session with "CTRL+ALT+F1" and there is the command prompt so I know that it is running but am unable to get the graphical window to show. Using "ALT+F7" just takes me back to the blank screen. I tried running ubiquity from the tty1 session but it says "cannot open display"

I have tried using the F4 option to select "safe graphics mode" but with the same result.

Any suggestions??

mikewhatever
January 19th, 2009, 04:24 PM
What are your computer specs, CPU, RAM, graphics?

dff3bc
January 19th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Ok...same problem.

Intel T9300
2GB RAM
NVidia 8800m GTX

mikewhatever
January 19th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Ok...same problem.

Intel T9300
2GB RAM
NVidia 8800m GTX

One possible explanation may be that the open source driver on the Live cd doesn't support your graphics card, hence no graphical environment from the live cd. That said, the restricted drivers from the repositories have 8800m GTX listed, both nvidia-glx-177 and nvidia-glx-180.
To get around that problem, use the Alternate installation CD, and once Ubuntu is installed, manually install the driver.

reldon
January 20th, 2009, 01:40 AM
I am using a desktop with:

M/B Asus: P5LD2-VM w/onboard video, sound, and ethernet
CPU: Celeron D 3.06GHz
Grapics: Intel 945G
Ram: 4GiB
H/D: Western Digital SATA 128GiB and 400GiB
Mouse/Kb: Microsoft usb wiresless desktop

I have tried all options including vga=771 with same result.

mikewhatever
January 21st, 2009, 05:21 PM
Don't know, Intel GMA 950 should be working out of the box. Did you try checking the live cd for errors?

reldon
January 23rd, 2009, 06:00 AM
Sorry to take so long to reply.

Yes, I did do a check. If I disable quiet and splash the last line shows "loading ubquity.." then hangs.