PDA

View Full Version : Well if it isn't an introduction thread!

dnRoyston
January 19th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Okay, if there's a board for welcome threads then I'm sorry, I scanned the boards 3 times looking for one, so I deemed this a good place to make my first formal post.

Well my name is dnRoyston. I'm not sure what to put here as an introduction, but it just doesn't feel the same without one.

I come here because pretty much I'm a lone frequent. I'm on the boards a lot, just this is my first time with an account, is all. I made this account a while back for a problem I had, but that was a question, not as a member.

So anyways, I'd like to formally welcome myself to the board, I've liked this place for a while, so I plan on staying!

Swagman
January 19th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Okay, if there's a board for welcome threads then I'm sorry, I scanned the boards 3 times looking for one, so I deemed this a good place to make my first formal post.

Well my name is dnRoyston. I'm not sure what to put here as an introduction, but it just doesn't feel the same without one.

Hi.. Welcome to Fanboi central. You don't have to be l33t to frequent here.. but it helps.

:)

dragos240
January 19th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Welcome to UbuntuForums! Please enjoy your stay! I hope you get to know the community well! It's very friendly here, good to meet ya!

Giant Speck
January 19th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Welcome to the forums! I applaud your use of proper grammar and spelling. :)

dnRoyston
January 19th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Welcome to the forums! I applaud your use of proper grammar and spelling. :)

Nowadays people who use proper grammar are hard to come by, aren't they?:)
EDIT: Oh wait, you live in Anchorage? That's awesome! I never thought I'd see someone else even from alaska this soon.

ronewolf
January 19th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I come here thinking to take the leap, prompted by a ridiculous Windows virus experience over the holidays.

I'm specing a Dell Mini 12 to play with Linux on. If I jump, then I imagine we'll get to be good friends.

Best,

__________________Ron

Giant Speck
January 19th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Nowadays people who use proper grammar are hard to come by, aren't they?:)
EDIT: Oh wait, you live in Anchorage? That's awesome! I never thought I'd see someone else even from alaska this soon.

Yeah, I've been here for about a month. I'm stationed at Elmendorf.

dragos240
January 19th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I suppose, people that are addicted to the internet tend to not use proper grammar and spelling mainly because:
It's easier
It's faster
And most people now a'days understand it.

Although i prefer to use proper grammar, it shows more intellect.

Giant Speck
January 19th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I suppose, people that are addicted to the internet tend to not use proper grammar and spelling mainly because:
It's easier
It's faster

I prefer using proper grammar because when I do, I know that my message is coming across loud and clear.

dragos240
January 19th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I prefer using proper grammar because when I do, I know that my message is coming across loud and clear.

Yes, for example, if you use leetspeak or chatspeak as i will demonstrate below, people might not understand you clearly:

O hai, can i get sum help, i got dis eror on my cumpuer and i dont no what to do? Plz help kthx.

It's almost gibberish for most, and the above wouldn't specify what problem he had.

nothingspecial
January 19th, 2009, 01:04 PM
It's easier
It's faster

Proper grammar has nothing to with intellect, intellect is about visualisation, abstract thought, reason and understanding. Grammar is learned.

dnRoyston
January 19th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Something I do happen to notice, however, is that no matter what the topic of the thread is on, if there is even the slightest reference to a different topic, then it will go in that direction. It's the same throughout all of the internet. I like it though, it allows for a sense of control if you know what you're doing.;)

sharathpaps
January 19th, 2009, 01:43 PM
In my line of work 'dnr' stands for 'DO NOT RESUSCITATE' :-p