PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Totem Movie Player DVD problems

keenboy
January 19th, 2009, 11:06 AM
For some reason the default movie player (Totem) won't play DVDs authored with chapters, it'll play the first chapter but not the rest.

I have installed Ogle which does, perfectly. I'm just curious as to why Totem won't do the same. I love Ubuntu, but I hate it when I have to add extra things or use less supported applications to solve pretty simple requests, especially as I'm a Linux and Opensource advocate and I recommend Ubuntu to unhappy proprietary desktop users.

I believe that having one application to handle all media is a great idea for people starting out with a new OS. Totem seems to be OK with other things.

Can Totem be setup to play all nature of DVD's? This is in reference mainly to the UK.

Thanks

adamlau
January 19th, 2009, 01:12 PM
If you are indeed a Linux and OSS advocate, you should know that there are many 'extra' applications which extend the flexibility and simply work better than the default choices of Ubuntu. Regarding 'less supported' applications, I presume you are referring to Canonical and community support for default Ubuntu applications. I have not found that to be the case as the developers of the applications which you are referring to (be it a Ubuntu default, or otherwise) as the best source of support. I understand how you feel. Outside of development libraries and headers and packaging tools, I rarely use a anything Ubuntu offers as a default application. And as for a solid DVD and general media player, I have found SMPlayer (though burdened by Qt) with MPlayer SVN to be the best :) .

keenboy
January 20th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks For your reply. I am indeed aware of the points you have made.

I try to post with a newbies hat on somebody that doesn't know of these things, somebody who perhaps buys a Dell Ubuntu Laptop and wishes to watch a dvd on it the minute it arrives.

I'll try your methods to see how they shape up.

Thanks