PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] iphone firmware 2.x support now in ubuntu

sudo panda
January 19th, 2009, 09:14 AM
EDIT: This method only works through WiFi.

This post is purely for anyone out there like me, who has had such a headache trying to find a work around for ubuntu's (or should i say apple's) lack of support for the iphone with the newest firmware 2.x (that being 2.1 or 2.2) in linux.

I found this post (http://marcansoft.com/blog/2009/01/using-amarok-and-other-itunesdb-compatible-software-with-the-iphone-2x/) particularly useful in figuring out a proper work around for it.

Basicly, changing a 4 to a 2 in /System/Library/Lockdown/Checkpoint.xml (you'll have to shh into the iphone in order to get it)
and copying the file onto your desktop, change the value under DBVersion then replacing the old Checkpoint.xml with the new one (MAKE SURE TO DO A BACKUP FIRST) will allow you to sync with amarok or any other iphone supported media player.

Hope this helps someone in need :popcorn:

igknighted
January 19th, 2009, 04:17 PM
This post is purely for anyone out there like me, who has had such a headache trying to find a work around for ubuntu's (or should i say apple's) lack of support for the iphone with the newest firmware 2.x (that being 2.1 or 2.2) in linux.

I found this post (http://marcansoft.com/blog/2009/01/using-amarok-and-other-itunesdb-compatible-software-with-the-iphone-2x/) particularly useful in figuring out a proper work around for it.

Basicly, changing a 4 to a 2 in /System/Library/Lockdown/Checkpoint.xml (you'll have to shh into the iphone in order to get it)
and copying the file onto your desktop, change the value under DBVersion then replacing the old Checkpoint.xml with the new one (MAKE SURE TO DO A BACKUP FIRST) will allow you to sync with amarok or any other iphone supported media player.

Hope this helps someone in need :popcorn:

Does it need to be jailbroken to do this?

sudo panda
January 20th, 2009, 01:02 AM
yes, in order to ssh into the phone you need to have BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH installed through Cydia. (a package acquired through the jail breaking process) :)

sleepercivic88
January 26th, 2009, 12:51 AM
I edited the xml file on the Ipod and restarted it.....it still mounts as a camera and I cant get gtkpod to see it correctly. What should I do. Did I miss something.

Thanks

sudo panda
January 26th, 2009, 01:06 AM
ahh, your mounting your iphone/ipod touch through usb.

Unfortunetly, this method only works with mounting the ipod touch or iphone via wifi. :eek:
using the usb chord to connect the device will still make it show up as a camera sorry ;)

If you want more infomation about mounting the device through wifi you can find detailed instructions at this link (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPhone). All you have to do is follow the "Syncing Music on Firmware Versions 1.x" as the altered XML file will now support this method.

Boomhauer
January 29th, 2009, 06:28 AM
thank you for this post! ive been confused on how to edit the Checkpoint.xml. ive been trying to mount via usb, didnt know about the ssh. thanks again!
EDIT: alright ive got ssh setup and can get in but i cant seem to /System! if i ssh as root i have
huff:~ root# ls
Library/ Media/
huff:~ root# cd Library/
huff:~/Library root# ls
AddressBook/ Caches/ Cookies/ Keyboard/ Lockdown/ Preferences/
huff:~/Library root# cd Lockdown/
huff:~/Library/Lockdown root# ls
activation_records/ device_private_key.pem pair_records/
data_ark.plist device_public_key.pem
and with mobile i get
huff:~ mobile$ ls
Applications/ Library/ Media/
huff:~ mobile$ cd Library/
huff:~/Library mobile$ ls
AddressBook/ Keyboard/ SMS/
Application\ Support/ LockBackground.jpg Safari/
Caches/ Logs/ Stocks/
Calendar/ Mail/ Voicemail/
CallHistory/ Maps/ Weather/
Carrier\ Bundle.bundle@ MobilePhone/ WebClips/
ConfigurationProfiles/ Notes/ WebKit/
Cookies/ Operator\ Bundle.bundle@ YouTube/
DataAccess/ Preferences/

no system anywhere
EDIT2: i am an idiot! i dont know why i didnt try this from the get go, but cd /System took me to where i need to be :)

sudo panda
February 4th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Haha, glad you worked it out :)
After replacing that file all should be smooth sailing ;)

doublepedaldylan
May 1st, 2009, 03:43 AM
It is not letting me edit the .xml file. I even copied to desktop and edited that one, but I could not copy back. I do not have permission it seems...

What gives?

Anyone know?

gamelover25
November 12th, 2009, 01:24 AM
It is not letting me edit the .xml file. I even copied to desktop and edited that one, but I could not copy back. I do not have permission it seems...

What gives?

Anyone know?

I'm having the same problem, I know this is old, but can someone please help me

sudo panda
November 12th, 2009, 02:12 AM
im really not sure... i haven't really played around much with the iphone for a very long time... im on software 3.0 now and this method is redundant for me now, so its very hard for me to test it..

but the only thing i can suggest is to check your permissions as it should be a very simple process of dragging and dropping the file over the top of the old checkpoint.xml

does it give you an error at all?
something that may point you to the reason for the error?

sudo panda
December 1st, 2009, 09:05 AM
I've recently posted a thread on making iphone work with ubuntu when you've got the 3.0 and 3.1 software.
Would anyone like a how-to?