PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Very lost

polskimoose
January 19th, 2009, 05:05 AM
I have a very small laptop that i was hoping to dual boot with windows and ubuntu, however whenever i try to install ubuntu it says i dont have enough ram.

i know that thats the problem, because i got damn small linux to work on it.

it says i have 238 MB of memory, but the installation requires 256 MB.

is there a simple way to get more RAM???
or install it without using 256 MB of it?

Bucky Ball
January 19th, 2009, 05:08 AM
You could try Xubuntu and use the alternate install disk.

There is also Ubuntu-minimal which installs enough to get things up then you install gnome, xfce, whatever desktop manager if you want one and whatever else you need from there.

You could also find out how much ram your laptop will take and replace or add to the existing ram.

polskimoose
January 19th, 2009, 05:15 AM
and how exactly would i add more ram?

Bucky Ball
January 19th, 2009, 05:22 AM
What laptop are you using? Generally there are a couple of panels on the bottom you can remove with a screw or two. Under one you will find the hard drive, under the other, you should see the ram.

* laptop ram is not real cheap, though.

You should weigh up the pros and cons before proceeding with that one if the machine is pretty old. But it can add life, undoubtedly.

polskimoose
January 19th, 2009, 05:24 AM
its a last generation Dell inspiron 700 mini

what would unscrewing all that do?

Bucky Ball
January 19th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Generally there are a couple of panels on the bottom you can remove with a screw or two. Under one you will find the hard drive, under the other, you should see the ram.

You pull the ram out and put another stick in. Or you add another stick if there is a slot to do so.

polskimoose
January 19th, 2009, 05:31 AM
where can i get one of those

Bucky Ball
January 19th, 2009, 05:43 AM
On the bottom of the machine there should be a model number. What is it? Or do you have the manual? That will tell you what kind of RAM configurations are possible with your machine. If not, you can find the manual and the specs online from the model number.

polskimoose
January 19th, 2009, 05:49 AM
i think the model number is PP07S

Bucky Ball
January 19th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Cool. You can also type:

sudo lshw

... into a terminal and look for the bit that looks like this:

*-memory:0
description: System Memory
physical id: c
slot: System board or motherboard
size: 2GiB
capacity: 2GiB
*-bank:0
description: DIMM Synchronous 667 MHz (1.5 ns)
physical id: 0
slot: DIMM 1
size: 1GiB
width: 64 bits
clock: 667MHz (1.5ns)
*-bank:1
description: DIMM 667 MHz (1.5 ns)
physical id: 1
slot: DIMM 2
size: 1GiB
width: 64 bits
clock: 667MHz (1.5ns)

That identifies your ram, but I'll have a look for that model number. Should tell which is the model, not the serial, on the machine.

polskimoose
January 19th, 2009, 06:02 AM
thank you so much

Bucky Ball
January 19th, 2009, 06:17 AM
My pleasure. I imagine you have another slot there. From the stick that is in there, you will be able to tell what kind of RAM it is (DDR, DDR2,pc133 etc). I would be guessing but you might be able to put two gB sticks in there, which would give you 2Gb altogether, but that is a guess. Dell could tell you with an email.

That machine is not that old I don't think so might be worth the effort. With a gig it would fly (1 stick or a 2 x 512mb kit). :)

Bucky Ball
January 19th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Hey, here is the manual!

http://office.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/dell/inspirontm_700m_model_pp07s.html

*** Sorry, forget that link. Here is the Dell one:

http://au.altavista.com/web/results?itag=ody&q=Dell+PP07S+&kgs=0&kls=0

Bucky Ball
January 19th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Memory module connector two SODIMM sockets (one user-accessible socket)
Memory module capacities 128, 256, 512 MB, and 1 GB
Memory type 3.3-V DDR SODIMM
Minimum memory 256 MB
Maximum memory 2 GB

That is all you need to know, from page 79 of the manual. The machine can take a maximum of 2 x 1gb DDR SODIMM RAM. Voila!

Have a search on the net, ebay or whatever and see if you can get some or go to your local computer store.