PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Main Panel Lost

PElizabethM
January 19th, 2009, 03:26 AM
I am rather new to Ubuntu, and mistakenly let my younger cousin use my computer. She did not properly shut down (simply pressed and held the power button), and now my panels are gone. I've looked at other posts, and tried everything they've said to do, and my panels are not reappearing. Can anyone help me out?

albinootje
January 19th, 2009, 03:30 AM
I am rather new to Ubuntu, and mistakenly let my younger cousin use my computer. She did not properly shut down (simply pressed and held the power button), and now my panels are gone. I've looked at other posts, and tried everything they've said to do, and my panels are not reappearing. Can anyone help me out?

You can open a terminal, and then type exactly this :

killall -9 gnome-panel ; gnome-panel

Please post any errors or if this still doesn't show a panel.
It is also possible that the panel is there, but minimized, or hiding by the way.

PElizabethM
January 19th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Thank you, that did work. However, now some of my applets are not working, specifically the eyes, the trash can, and the mixer. It is not extremely important, but a little bit of an inconvenience.

albinootje
January 19th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Thank you, that did work. However, now some of my applets are not working, specifically the eyes, the trash can, and the mixer. It is not extremely important, but a little bit of an inconvenience.

You mean that the applets are gone ?
Or do they refuse to start with some error ? (If so, what are the errors ?)

If they're just gone, you can add them to the panel again, with the right click, and "add to panel".

PElizabethM
January 19th, 2009, 03:50 AM
It is an error. Specifically, it says

The panel encountered a problem while loading
"OAFIID:GNOME_GeyesApplet".
Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?

The exact same thing with the different applet names for all three.

zman58
January 19th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Perhaps if you just go ahead and delete them from your configuration, then go back into the panel properties and add them back in. Not sure, but it just might work.

adamlau
January 19th, 2009, 01:19 PM
If that does not work, try reinstalling the problem applets.

PElizabethM
January 19th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I did both of those, and am still getting the same error.