PDA

View Full Version : yourgnome, Backup all your Gnome things !

mAbuYusuf
January 19th, 2009, 02:45 AM
yougnome allow to backup all things relative to Gnome on your Linux Machine ! it backup them in a single .tar.gz file, then restore them any time you need.

yourgnome2 is now also available !, and with a GUI !

Download: yourgnome version 2 with GUI (http://code.google.com/p/yourgnome/downloads/detail?name=yourgnome2.tar.gz&can=2&q=)
Documentation: How to (Install & Use) yourgnome2 (http://code.google.com/p/yourgnome/wiki/HowTo)

by yourgnome you backup the following:

1- all your themes.

2- background you use settings.

4- gnome-panel settings.

5- bluetooth-manager settings.

6- evolution settings.

7- file-roller settings.

8- gnome-screensaver settings.

9- gnome-session settings.

10- gnome-terminal settings.

11- gnome-volume-control settings.

12- metacity & compiz settings.

13- update-manager & notifier settings.

14- totem settings.

15- network configuration set by Gnome.

16- screenlets !

And, many more .. !

toupeiro
January 19th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Thats cool and all ... but wouldn't you cover all that and more by backing up $HOME?

I run a little cpio (http://linuxmanpages.com/man1/cpio.1.php) script once a night to a USB drive that pretty much preserves all of those things.

It looks like you've put a lot of work into this. I'd be nice to see it extended. (so people wouldn't use 2 different backup tools when 1 should do.)

mAbuYusuf
January 19th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Thats cool and all ... but wouldn't you cover all that and more by backing up $HOME?

I run a little cpio (http://linuxmanpages.com/man1/cpio.1.php) script once a night to a USB drive that pretty much preserves all of those things.

It looks like you've put a lot of work into this. I'd be nice to see it extended. (so people wouldn't use 2 different backup tools when 1 should do.)

Not all things are in $HOME, for example the background image !
and also, What about some people who don't need to backup there home directories, just want to GNOME configurations ?
Just like, what about if you want to copy your Gnome to a friend ?

and many more situations you may need to copy only Gnome settings and themes and ....

and i agree that backing up the whole $HOME useful in many cases, also backing up only Gnome settings and themes and so, should be useful in some cases.

Waiting for any comments or bugs or ..

toupeiro
January 19th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Not all things are in $HOME, for example the background image !
and also, What about some people who don't need to backup there home directories, just want to GNOME configurations ?
Just like, what about if you want to copy your Gnome to a friend ?

and many more situations you may need to copy only Gnome settings and themes and ....

and i agree that backing up the whole $HOME useful in many cases, also backing up only Gnome settings and themes and so, should be useful in some cases.

Waiting for any comments or bugs or ..

My background image is in my home directory... I think most people who don't use default artwork will have their background image somewhere in their home directory. I guess I can see the usefulness of a tool to extract your gnome settings for the sake of sharing those configurations with others, but I don't know if I'd push it as a backup solution is all.

It's just some friendly constructive criticism. I'm just trying to point out that you increase its usefulness and userbase by not siloing it only to gnome configurations. If I had to choose a backup tool, one that could get everything, or one that would just preserve my gnome settings, I'd go for the one that could get everything. It would be awesome if the tool that did everything, gave me an option to just restore my gnome settings if thats all I needed, but if I needed more, than I'm in the clear as well. :)

wolfen69
January 19th, 2009, 03:44 AM
meh. i just backup my personal files, .mozilla, and .mozilla thunderbird. i'm good to go. all other tweaks only take a few minutes.

Grant A.
January 19th, 2009, 04:18 AM
zip -r back-up.zip /

And if you put that Zip on a CD, and unpacked it into a fresh ext3 drive, wouldn't that work better than any back-up device?