PDA

View Full Version : text editors

octopusfinley
January 19th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Hey there all,
I'm just starting out, trying to learn C++. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good text editor. So far I've just been using nano but I feel like this isn't really the place for a program and I also can't find any way to copy my programs. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
finley

cmay
January 19th, 2009, 12:44 AM
all iever use is geany. or codeblocks which i think could be the c++ editor you may want. kdevelop is nice too. but i run light desktop enviroment so i stick with geany. i use nano for editing the files in the system however. like apt sources. but i know it can be madse to syntaxt higlightning. vim or vi for console based programming editors is very popular. i would as said use geany. or gedit on ubuntu.

DocForbin
January 19th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Haven't used it for C++, but I really like Geany as well. It's lightweight/fast, and a nice balance between a juggernaut IDE and a simple editor.

For programming text editors, vi/vim and emacs are popular and powerful, but have a bit of learning curve. There are lots of threads on this topic, and tons of options. Search and try a few out.

For a full-fledged IDE, netbeans and eclipse and both nice, and free :) NetBeans 6.5 is really slick.

jimi_hendrix
January 19th, 2009, 01:36 AM
vim (gvim for the faint-hearted)

octopusfinley
January 19th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Wow thanks everyone, I didn't expect such a good response. I'll definitely check out these suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Joeb454
January 19th, 2009, 01:52 AM
I use Vim for small text file editing, or for coding on remote computers.

Other than that I have to give my +1 to Geany :D

module0000
January 19th, 2009, 01:57 AM
VIM is great if you can get the keyboard shortcuts to second nature(and remember to give it ":syntax on" for highlighting).

If I'm not using VIM, I'll use geany in X, and if you have enough resources, Code::Blocks is really incredible(code completion, object browsing, etc).

cardinals_fan
January 19th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Vim is the best editor. If you need the functions of a full-scale IDE, Geany is very good.

Joeb454
January 19th, 2009, 01:59 AM
VIM is great if you can get the keyboard shortcuts to second nature(and remember to give it ":syntax on" for highlighting).

I thought that's what ~/.vimrc is for? :p

And I've also used NetBeans, it's not that bad really...especially as it works across On Linux, OS X, Windows & Solaris...pretty much guarantee's an identical environment whatever OS you're working on

jimi_hendrix
January 19th, 2009, 02:02 AM

just:

echo :syn on > ~/.vimrc

snova
January 19th, 2009, 03:52 AM
So far I've just been using nano but I feel like this isn't really the place for a program and I also can't find any way to copy my programs.

What do you mean, "copy my program"?

just:

echo :syn on > ~/.vimrc

Assuming you don't have a .vimrc already... in which case, append:

echo :syn on >> ~/.vimrc

HotCupOfJava
January 19th, 2009, 04:03 AM
I've used vim a bit myself, but then I decided to code my own text editor for some extra features: automatically placing closing parenthesis, brackets, and quotes. Smaller tab indents (the default takes up too much line space). Line number display (for debugging). JFileChooser so I can "hunt" for my source code when I can't remember which directory I saved it in.

You get the idea. I could just use NetBeans or something, but my editor is a good bit faster for just straight source typing.

kerry_s
January 19th, 2009, 04:22 AM
what no one likes nedit anymore? :)

Sorivenul
January 19th, 2009, 04:48 AM
My vote is split between Geany and Vim.

module0000
January 19th, 2009, 05:09 AM
I thought that's what ~/.vimrc is for? :p

And I've also used NetBeans, it's not that bad really...especially as it works across On Linux, OS X, Windows & Solaris...pretty much guarantee's an identical environment whatever OS you're working on

I wrote that so that the original poster would know how to turn it on to try out VIM, didn't want him to "vi foo.c" and see white on black and think that's all vim was =)

PandaGoat
January 19th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I do not want to start an editor war, but I recommend emacs. For an editor--IGNORING VIM SINCE I DO NOT LIKE IT FOR PERSONAL REASONS--emacs is superior once you climb the learning curve.

At first glance, it may seem like the keyboard macros are random, but they are not. All macros beginning with C-x have a common trait. Something beginning with C usually has a complement beginning with M, such as cutting text apposed to just copying. I would read http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/tour/ to get a basic understanding of what I even mean by C-x, C, and M and get some ideas of what emacs does.

Of course though, try every editor suggested that you desire until you are bored. Repeat this process, filtering out what you like to use. Then, pick which won the battle.

hessiess
January 19th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Defanatly Vim;)

NinjaWork
January 19th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I miss Textpad! Can someone please clone it on Linux for me?

jimi_hendrix
January 19th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I've used vim a bit myself, but then I decided to code my own text editor for some extra features: automatically placing closing parenthesis, brackets, and quotes. Smaller tab indents (the default takes up too much line space).

all doable in vim

mali2297
January 19th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I use JED (http://www.jedsoft.org/jed/). It has much of the same features as Emacs but is far lighter.

brunovecchi
January 19th, 2009, 02:31 PM
My vote goes to vim too.

wmcbrine
January 20th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I still use nano. This is partly due to my extreme inertia (pico was my first Unix editor, circa 1993), and partly due to my ruling out anything GUI, which narrows down the choices a lot. (I want to be able to work from the shell.) I do use vim sometimes, but I'm not its master. I've never undertaken the considerable effort required to learn to use emacs even casually, but I admire it from a safe distance. :D