PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] i broke it!!

shrekfx
January 18th, 2009, 10:17 PM
o.k. i'm new to this so please be patient with me...

I had ubuntu as the only os but for some reason after a reboot, i was getting an grub, error 17 (think that was it) and couldnt load into ubuntu.. Now what i did is reformated, installing windows and then going to partition it for ubuntu, but also want to put fadora, opensuse, and maybe mandiva to play with, and maybe more.. Not sure yet.. What would be the best way to do this after i get windows going..

I only need like 40gigs for windows cuz that will be the os i use when i cant run certain things from linux.

cariboo
January 18th, 2009, 11:29 PM
I would suggest using the Windows installer to create a partition for Windows and leave the rest of the drive blank, then when it comes time to install ubuntu, use its installer to create the partitions you need to install Ubuntu and leave the rest of the drive blank for future installations.

Jim

shrekfx
January 18th, 2009, 11:44 PM
o.k. i probly did it wrong cuz i just installed windows and did one partition for it.. was that right?

ifthengoto
January 19th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Another option would be to install Virtualbox (http://www.virtualbox.org/) or VMWare and then you can install whatever test distos you like without having to mess with partitioning and grub etc.

shrekfx
January 19th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Grub? i'm not hungry...?? what??

i've tried vmware, didnt get it to work.. plus its not really testing i just want them on my box.

DeadRobot
January 19th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Grub? i'm not hungry...?? what??
i lol'd.