PDA

View Full Version : lcd or plasma

mamamia88
January 18th, 2009, 09:35 PM
thinking of getting something about 42" for superbowl any suggestions or advice?

mkendall
January 18th, 2009, 09:45 PM
LCD. Picture quality is almost as good and you'll save yourself a bundle. But do your research.

binbash
January 18th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I just bought 42 LCD , lcd is better in my opinion

mamamia88
January 18th, 2009, 09:48 PM
thanks

collinp
January 18th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I dont have any personal experience with either (still using CRTs) but I have heard that Plasmas have a better quality, but the price is not worth it.

mkendall
January 18th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I dont have any personal experience with either (still using CRTs) but I have heard that Plasmas have a better quality, but the price is not worth it.

It's true that plasma have better picture quality, but most people won't notice the difference unless the two were placed side-by-side.

twisted_steel
January 18th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Here is the 1080p distance chart that has been going around for a couple of years:
http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/

I haven't looked at prices recently, so it could be that the price difference between 1080p sets and 720p/1080i isn't too significant these days.

linuxuser21
January 18th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Lcd.

HunterK
January 18th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Its always been my understanding that, in the past, LCDs couldn't compare with the contrast ratios that plasma could deliver. That is one reason why some prefered plasma over LCD. Since then, LCDs have come a long way in that department and, honestly, you may only be able to tell the difference if you sit there stare at the 2 side by side. Also, if it is important to you, I think Plasmas consume MUCH more power and also let off much more heat than LCDs.

mips
January 18th, 2009, 11:39 PM
There are pro's and con's to both and a lot also depends on your viewing environment.

To my eyes plasma looks better.

deepclutch
January 19th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Plasma will be a dead technology soon ,owing to various factors.LCD technology itself is nearing perfection to Plasma almost.
latest on the bench is OLED Displays :
http://www.oled-display.net/oled-television
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED

and:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&productId=8198552921665327724

uberdonkey5
January 19th, 2009, 12:31 AM
LCD is less prone to problems and much cheaper. I'm not sure why plasma is still selling!

Def.go for LCD but be aware that not all LCD screens are the same. Especially on the bigger versions, you can get LCDs that have poor contrast and resolution. Check out things like number of pixels and brightness. I got a lowly 15" LCD when they first came out, and it was amazing - feels like my eyesight is not working when I look at a normal TV now. Also, ensure its High Def (HD) compatible, just to be future proof. (May be 8 years before we're all using high def though).

Slug71
January 19th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Lcd

Skripka
January 19th, 2009, 12:52 AM
LCD.

Research online for models for reviews. NO major monitor store- a la WorstBuy EVER has a color chart with which to compare the color outputs and abilities of monitors-all they ever show is flashy TV crap which won't tell you anything about how good the monitor is at accurately reproducing color.

diablo75
January 19th, 2009, 01:30 AM
LCD's (I'm pretty sure) last a lot longer. They also use less electricity. And they look nearly as good as plasma. And they're cheaper.

twisted_steel
January 19th, 2009, 01:56 AM
LCD's (I'm pretty sure) last a lot longer.

The latest Panasonic plasmas have a projected life of 60,000 hours. That seems pretty long to me.

Their FAQ is here (http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PlasmaFAQ?storeId=15001&catalogId=13401&langId=-1&catGroupId=24973).

Sunflower1970
January 19th, 2009, 02:12 AM
My parents have a plasma TV something like 62"? (not sure the size but it's quite large) The picture on it is awesome. We have a 32" Samsung LCD which I love. Picture's pretty good. Not the same as the plasma, but it was cheaper, and doesn't use as much energy as a plasma

LookTJ
January 19th, 2009, 02:50 AM
If you are going to watch it in front/center: lcd

If you have friends that are going to watch it from the side: plasma

Budget wise: lcd

Picture quality: plasma

Longevity: Plasma in my opinion

toupeiro
January 19th, 2009, 03:16 AM
I currently have a HD rear projection 55" TV. I'm holding out for LaserVue technology to drop. I've seen these TV's and they destroy LCD and Plasma.

kevdog
January 19th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Plasma's IMO have a bigger dynamic range than LCD. Honestly once you get one home and they are not sitting side by side, you will probably have a hard time telling the difference. LCDs are much cheaper and I think have less problems than plasmas -- since plasmas do lose their contrast range after a period of time.

amitabhishek
January 19th, 2009, 05:32 AM
LCD.

I watch DVDs with composite input, trust me, picture quality is breathtaking. Keep your energy bills low, use LCD.

jrusso2
January 19th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Both have strengths and weakness. Plasma has over all better picture, blacks are black, viewing does not have to be in front can be angle. But has to be viewed in not too bright of a room.

LCD can't watch from the side angles, pixels go bad, fast motion can be poor, blacks are not dark. If you do get an LCD get the best one you can find. There are three types of LCD's.

PurposeOfReason
January 19th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Plasma will always kill lcd, I don't care what anyone says. It is like somebody saying mp3 is as good as flac. They just never knew the difference. A lcd cannot display a true black. It can come close but never will. That being said, I'd get an LCD for money reasons and that only. If you can't tell the difference (and don't lie to yourself if you can't, it's not a bad thing), then stay with a lcd.

steveneddy
January 19th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Plasma looks great on 50" or more real estate.

For a 42" a nice high contrast ratio LCD would look great at 1080p.

I did go with an LCD recently. Also 42".

wmcbrine
January 19th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Plasmas are a lot cheaper than they used to be. Those saying "LCD is cheaper" might want to check the latest prices.

Your desired size may dictate your choice -- it's hard to find a plasma smaller than 42", or an LCD larger than that. But 42" is right where they overlap. (LCDs are creeping up, though; they used to max out at 32".)

Luftfahrtversicherung
January 19th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Plasma = Quality but much expensive.
LCD = Cheaper but you can still enjoy your movies.

My choice: Budget wise, LCD!:P

Frak
January 19th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Both have strengths and weakness. Plasma has over all better picture, blacks are black, viewing does not have to be in front can be angle. But has to be viewed in not too bright of a room.

LCD can't watch from the side angles, pixels go bad, fast motion can be poor, blacks are not dark. If you do get an LCD get the best one you can find. There are three types of LCD's.
I've never had any of those issues, plus my LCD has a complete 180 degree viewing angle. It's a Samsung, and the greatest thing about it is that it turns off pixels that should be black, instead of pumping enough juice to them to stop ALL light. Saves cost and blacks are literally black. It's an Active Matrix, TFT LCD. I also have a plasma that is slightly better than my LCD due to response time, but not good enough to pay more for the same thing.

PurposeOfReason
January 19th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I've never had any of those issues, plus my LCD has a complete 180 degree viewing angle. It's a Samsung, and the greatest thing about it is that it turns off pixels that should be black, instead of pumping enough juice to them to stop ALL light. Saves cost and blacks are literally black. It's an Active Matrix, TFT LCD. I also have a plasma that is slightly better than my LCD due to response time, but not good enough to pay more for the same thing.
The black trick is done with DCR which highly screws with other colors. In most cases it should only be used when you have a still image.

Frak
January 19th, 2009, 09:44 AM
The black trick is done with DCR which highly screws with other colors. In most cases it should only be used when you have a still image.
It's called TruBlack on my TV. The only difference is that only contiguous blacks are disabled. Blacks in colors are still charged pixels. The only difference I see between them is that black masses truly look black.

3rdalbum
January 19th, 2009, 11:51 AM
If you wanted a massive TV, then plasma is better - less expensive.

If you have a light room, LCD is better.

If you have a pretty dark room, plasma is better.

Lifespan, contrast, response-time, problems (lack of), viewing angles and picture quality are so similar between LCD and plasma that you don't need to worry about these. Just work out if you do your viewing when the room is dark or when the room is light, and you'll make the right choice between the technologies.

I worked as an electrical retailer until very recently, so I've been looking at LCDs and plasmas side-by-side for a very long period of time; I've seen the lack of returns and repairs needed on both technologies and I've heard gullible customers sprout all the FUD they've heard ("I don't want a plasma, they can catch fire!" or "If an LCD gets a dead pixel, it spreads to the rest of the screen and it's not covered by the warranty!" or my personal favourite "Plasmas aren't safe, they give off radiation!").

3rdalbum
January 19th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Plasma has over all better picture

Subjective.

viewing does not have to be in front can be angle.

Unless you're buying very cheap LCDs, the viewing angles are very wide these days. You can be nearly 180 degrees with LCDs and plasmas and not see any colour shift.

pixels go bad

Anti-LCD FUD.

fast motion can be poor

Again, only very cheap LCDs. I don't recommend very cheap TVs in general. The good LCDs can keep up.

blacks are not dark.

Depending on what LCD and what plasma, blacks can sometimes be blacker on LCDs. Usually darker on plasmas, but LCD blacks are still very good. It also depends on viewing conditions; in a room with light coming in, an LCD's dark areas will look darker than a plasma's due to the plasma's reflections.

If you do get an LCD get the best one you can find.

Don't buy cheap LCDs or cheap plasmas. They are seriously not worth it. You're talking to an electrical salesperson here who has done his share of returns on cheap TVs, and done hardly any on name-brand TVs.

hessiess
January 19th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Black level can be improved substantially by calibrating the monitor/TV for the viewing environment. Basically just try to match the backlight brightness to the ambient lighting, not turn it up to maximum. if you take a photograph of the screen and it comes out badly glared, the back light is too bright.

OrangeCrate
January 19th, 2009, 01:15 PM
thinking of getting something about 42" for superbowl any suggestions or advice?

Based on Consumer Report's recommendation, we bought a 42" Panasonic plasma. Personally, we like the softer look of the plasma picture, but I do have to admit, that LCD TVs have come a long way. Frankly, I'd look to Consumer Reports for some unbiased guidance on both LCDs and plasmas.

mips
January 19th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I currently have a HD rear projection 55" TV. I'm holding out for LaserVue technology to drop. I've seen these TV's and they destroy LCD and Plasma.

These, http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/25/mitsubishis-laservue-65-inch-and-75-inchers-due-this-fall/ ?
http://hdguru.com/mitsubishi-laservue-l65-a90-first-tech-review-hd-guru-exclusive/310/
http://www.thetechlounge.com/article/580/Mitsubishi-LaserVue-65-HDTV-World-Premiere/
http://www.thetechlounge.com/article/585/Mitsubishi-LaserVue-65-HDTV-We-Meet-Again/

The Pioneer Kuro Plasma displays seem to be getting good reviews.

uberdonkey5
January 19th, 2009, 03:29 PM

+1

If you want big viewing angle and really large, go HD projection, if not, go LCD! OK, picture quality of plasma is better, but an excellent quality LCD will still be cheaper than plasma. Plasma may be good for a pub or hotel, but for personal use, and if you are investing for longer period, I'd definately go (high quality) LCD. I'd guess that the market is dominated by LCD now as well, so that bodes well for the future.

Skripka
January 19th, 2009, 04:29 PM
or my personal favourite "Plasmas aren't safe, they give off radiation!").

Those kind of people are so cute.

mips
January 19th, 2009, 04:40 PM
or my personal favourite "Plasmas aren't safe, they give off radiation!").

You should have told them that all electrical devices actually give of radiation as well as sources in nature.

sydbat
January 19th, 2009, 05:13 PM
This might help - http://www.1staudiovisual.co.uk/catalog/lcd-vs-plasma-a-32.html

Not super technical, but should give you an idea.

Of course, go with what you think is the best picture overall. For me, it's Sharp Aquos 52"...