PDA

View Full Version : Kubuntu to drop Adept?

TWO
January 18th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Is it true that Kubuntu will drop Adept package manager and replace it with PackageKit?
(This is concerning the KDE 4 version, of course.)

http://web.mornfall.net/adept.html

One of the developers (Petr Ročkai) wrote on his blog a good a month ago- I've only just noticed it now- that he was discontinuing development "since Kubuntu will be changing its default manager to KPackageKit."

http://www.packagekit.org/

I never really know about these kinds of things, so I just wanted to see if any one else has heard about it, and also if anyone has used KPackageKit and how it compares to Adept beta 4 and Synaptic?

TWO

smartboyathome
January 18th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I think Ubuntu is planning a full switch to PackageKit on all its official versions for 9.10.

TWO
January 18th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I think Ubuntu is planning a full switch to PackageKit on all its official versions for 9.10.

Ah, so will the GNOME version be removing Synaptic Package Manager?

Also, what is the motive behind the swtich?

Chame_Wizard
January 18th, 2009, 10:13 PM
It's gonna be goodbye Adept in October??:confused::confused:

Grant A.
January 18th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Ah, so will the GNOME version be removing Synaptic Package Manager?

Also, what is the motive behind the swtich?

In Kubuntu Ibex, adept is broken. I'm not sure about Ubuntu or Xubuntu's reasonings, though.

TWO
January 18th, 2009, 10:40 PM
In Kubuntu Ibex, adept is broken. I'm not sure about Ubuntu or Xubuntu's reasonings, though.

Adept is broken in Kubuntu Intrepid? Really? :confused:

The most I could tell is that there were some missing features and that search sometimes didn't bring all the results up, but for the most part, I would have said that the new Adept was shaping up nicely and that it was on the way to being a good improvement over the KDE 3 version.

I wonder if the aim is to create some similarity between the two versions. If so, I think that's a good idea!

awakatanka
January 18th, 2009, 10:43 PM
The kde3 version i started to like because it did a search on the fly, but the kde4 version i never liked could not work with it and switched to synaptic because it found more applications then adept kde4.

Hope they make packagekit is exact the same in kde4 our in gnome only with another jacket on a qt our a gtk one. Because in the screen shot i see already different things. like the left site of the screen shot's gnome has application collections but kde doesn't have it.

http://www.packagekit.org/img/gpk-application-search.png

http://www.packagekit.org/img/kpk-search.png

TWO
January 18th, 2009, 11:00 PM
The kde3 version i started to like because it did a search on the fly, but the kde4 version i never liked could not work with it and switched to synaptic because it found more applications then adept kde4.

Hope they make packagekit is exact the same in kde4 our in gnome only with another jacket on a qt our a gtk one. Because in the screen shot i see already different things. like the left site of the screen shot's gnome has application collections but kde doesn't have it.

Yeah, it would be good if they made the appearance of each version uniform. The screenshot for the version for GNOME that you just posted looked very good. I hope that the developers follow the same design for the KDE version. Having a program type column- much like is find in Adept's add/remove program or Synaptic's- would be very good.

I presume the screenshots are just a work in progress though...

SunnyRabbiera
January 18th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Yeh but why drop a great app like synaptic?
Adept I can understand as I never liked it, but Synaptic I always liked...

deepclutch
January 19th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Synaptic is a very good software.I am yet to see something coming near to it in usability.

smartboyathome
January 19th, 2009, 12:22 AM
They aren't dropping synaptic from what I understand. Only Add/Remove programs in (X)Ubuntu and Adept in KDE.

racoq
January 19th, 2009, 01:12 AM
They aren't dropping synaptic from what I understand. Only Add/Remove programs in (X)Ubuntu and Adept in KDE.

I hope not, that would anger many people since synaptic is a reference, and user friendly. And as time goes by, it's becoming even better.

We are talking about an app IMHO irreplaceable

Skripka
January 19th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Adept is broken in Kubuntu Intrepid? Really? :confused:

Yep, it is flaky and does not do well at finding things--that are even installed on your system...even when you type the whole 15 character name out.

I liked Adept, and it did have a slick new interface....but the search inability caused me to drop it and install Synaptic.

maybeway36
January 19th, 2009, 01:47 AM
They are keeping aptitude, right?

chucky chuckaluck
January 19th, 2009, 01:53 AM
the 30 seconds i used adept were some of the most miserable moments of my software life.

cardinals_fan
January 19th, 2009, 02:15 AM
*shudders with terror and thanks unknown 3rd parties with great power that I don't use Ubuntu anymore*

wolfen69
January 19th, 2009, 03:40 AM
i hope canonical drops kubuntu. it's a waste of resources for the company. other distros do kde much better.

gletob
January 19th, 2009, 04:18 AM
i hope canonical drops kubuntu. it's a waste of resources for the company. other distros do kde much better.

Oh gosh, lets not start this arguement again

I like synaptic.

jrusso2
January 19th, 2009, 04:22 AM

What waste of resources they spend almost no time on it at all. They just add the regular KDE version, and change to the KDE apps.

stmiller
January 19th, 2009, 05:34 AM

Trollbait post of the year. Congrats...

deepclutch
January 19th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Cannonical make us available Kde modular 8)

Chame_Wizard
January 19th, 2009, 12:28 PM

they are a lot of people like me who using it(20 months now http://images.fok.nl/s/static.gif).

mips
January 19th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Cannonical make us available Kde modular 8)

Thats what the KDE project should do.

TWO
January 22nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
the 30 seconds i used adept were some of the most miserable moments of my software life.

:lolflag: Oh it couldn't have been that bad!! It is beta software to be fair and as we discussed, from the looks of things it might no longer be developed further...

:rolleyes: Oh dear...Not really a beneficial post to this thread... Well, people have the freedom of choice to pick whichever distro they like and the developers, the freedom to develop whatever they like!

Trollbait post of the year. Congrats...
+1

*shudders with terror and thanks unknown 3rd parties with great power that I don't use Ubuntu anymore*

:rolleyes: And funnily enough, you are still on the Ubuntu forums!! Besides, people will only get used to whatever changes are made, and if people don't like the package manager, there is always the Terminal/Konsole and apt-get!

At least Synaptic will still be around! :KS

NTolerance
January 22nd, 2009, 06:02 PM

I don't see what the problem is considering that apparently Synaptic is to be retained. Looking at your sig I can't imagine you ever used the simplistic Add/Remove programs interface anyways.

I also fail to see the downside of a cross-distribution install/uninstall method.

forcecore
January 22nd, 2009, 06:23 PM
is it still possible to use offline .debs and does that packagekit removes unused dependencies too???, with synaptic i can clean up not needed packages but packagekit ???

Chame_Wizard
January 22nd, 2009, 06:41 PM
i hope Adept will be supported for a while.

Slug71
January 22nd, 2009, 07:02 PM
I thought Packagekit was suppose to be default in 9.04??

Warpnow
January 22nd, 2009, 08:25 PM
Adept is only good if you know exactly what you want to install.

That makes it very newbie unfriendly. And with KDEs recent advancements newbs are going to flock to Kubuntu like nobody's business IMO. KDE4 is just nice.

A wise change.

Skripka
January 22nd, 2009, 08:39 PM
Adept is only good if you know exactly what you want to install.

Actually the latest stable version of Adept Package Manager will not even find packages on your system-even if you type out the full name of the package. Adept is broken.

deepclutch
January 24th, 2009, 06:44 AM
^exactly.and what happened to kynaptic!It may be better.
http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=22850

TWO
January 25th, 2009, 05:06 PM
^exactly.and what happened to kynaptic!It may be better.
http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=22850

Doesn't look like it has been updated in years!

igknighted
January 25th, 2009, 06:51 PM

Your assumption is that the kubuntu devs will switch to developing Ubuntu or Xubuntu, but I think in reality they will switch to a different distro or make their own Ubuntu-based kde distro. The additional resources freed up for cannonical are minimal.

SomeGuyDude
January 25th, 2009, 07:31 PM
There's no reason to drop Synaptic, it's just a front-end. Not like it's inherently tied into Adept. I still don't get why more distros don't take the cue and make their own version, it's a great little app.

smartboyathome
January 25th, 2009, 07:44 PM
There's no reason to drop Synaptic, it's just a front-end. Not like it's inherently tied into Adept. I still don't get why more distros don't take the cue and make their own version, it's a great little app.

Wouldn't that be harder than starting from scratch like most distros do currently?

SomeGuyDude
January 25th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Wouldn't that be harder than starting from scratch like most distros do currently?

...what do you mean?

andamaru
January 25th, 2009, 10:57 PM
...what do you mean?

Fedora, OpenSuSE both have their own package-manager that they develop seperate from other people.

packagekit is a good idea, it's a universal interface that runs on top the distro existing package manager. It also allows you to fine tune the permissions regrading package management. I think that's how it works someone please correct me. OpenSuSE and Fedora have already switched over, Ubuntu following just makes sense.

SomeGuyDude
January 26th, 2009, 01:04 AM
My point was why doesn't everyone have a Synaptic of their own. it's a brilliant little tool. Simple, effective, works.

Skripka
January 26th, 2009, 01:10 AM
My point was why doesn't everyone have a Synaptic of their own. it's a brilliant little tool. Simple, effective, works.

To encourage UbuntuForums users to only offer install help via CLI and avoid giving GUI instructions ;)

deepclutch
January 26th, 2009, 02:45 AM
with bash completion ,it is easy ;) no need for aptitude nor apt-cache

root@praka:~# apt-get remove( or install) {[press TAB key twice]}
Display all 1138 possibilities? (y or n)