PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] fix broken packages in 8.10/reinstall if neccessary

mordred99
January 18th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Okay - I have been using the OS for a while now, and it is really great to learn on. However I have hosed things up pretty bad on my system and would like to fix some of the broken packages. I installed several of the GUI packages, when trying to play with them, and they did not work properly on my system. So (since I did my documentation) I uninstalled everything that I installed and now I am limping along really badly. None of the Icons work properly, I get random errors, etc.

So my question is this, What can I do to get my system back to a stable 8.10 release? I don't care if I have to download all the updates, etc. I would prefer not to have to re-install (I can) just all my stuff I have setup on my system would take weeks to recover (well weeks when you can only work a few hours a week on your system). I have VM servers, a jukebox system, several mySQL dbs, etc. my /home is mounted on another partition, however, most of the system stuff is on the root.

Can anyone help. I don't see an option on the 8.10 to repair install.

Thanks in advance.

mordred99
January 19th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Just a quick thought on this, is there a document that had a listing of all the packages installed by default? I can go through (albeit manually) and determine which ones are missing and which ones are not.

Please let me know.

mordred99
January 24th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I just re-installed. I spent a few days collecting all the web pages I have hit over the last 8 months since 8.04 was release, and bit the bullet. It went relatively fine. I have applied the themes, reinstalled the SQL server, the apache server, the VM server, etc. I am still having issues with the network connections, but I will figure it out eventually.

No reason to reply as I took issues into my own hands.