PDA

View Full Version : BOXEE, NEW Internet TV/Home Theater for Ubuntu

lubeck
January 18th, 2009, 08:06 PM
A new, FREE, OPEN SOURCE downloadable SW package and system for turning computer into an Internet/Web based Home Theater. Can be used for TV and audio out feed as well, HD capable. Seems very cool, bordering on killer-app breakthrough.

SW download for HARDY and INTREPID. (Or, MAC)

http://www.boxee.tv/

[In my case, needed to enable/check (in System, Administration, Software Sources, Updates tab) the Pre--Release Updates, specifically 'intrepid-proposed' to allow all the proper stuff SW to be downloaded]

Reported in New York Times, 1/18/09.

gunnz
January 19th, 2009, 05:43 PM
hello
i have hardy heron on my laptop acer 5315.i had intrepid ibex but i downgrade it to get the bluetooth working and some other stuff.in 8.10 boxee was nice...almost a few crashes now and then (it's alpha version what can you expect :) ) but in 8.04 is really buggy.even with compiz off i can't get to browse to boxee's menu.
how is boxee running for you in 8.04?

All the best :)

billgoldberg
January 19th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I tried it a few months ago, it was pretty good.

But I have no real use for it at the moment.

When I'm making a htpc, I'll use boxee.

Mr. Picklesworth
January 19th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Is there any news on a 64-bit version of Boxee? I've been waiting on it for ages :(

Mazza558
January 19th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I've tried it too - it's basically XBMC but with a few extras.

wolfen69
January 19th, 2009, 09:39 PM
i thought it was garbage. i'll go with mythbuntu any day.

Thirtysixway
January 19th, 2009, 09:44 PM
It's a neat idea. I donwloaded it and tried it, the interface moves slow for me.

wipeout140
January 19th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I've tried it too - it's basically XBMC but with a few extras.

Same View may as well install xbmc from the ppa or use mythtv

dsauter
January 22nd, 2009, 06:37 PM
I don't fully understand the comments about using Mythbuntu instead of Boxee. :confused: Mythbuntu simply doesn't work for streaming videos, which is what sets Boxee apart from the rest. Boxee doesn't do broadcast TV, which is MythTV's main purpose. I use both, and I couldn't be happier.

I'm using it on my Myth box and I love it. It really does the best job I've seen for streaming Hulu, Joost and Youtube. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend you do. There's really nothing to lose by trying it.

Fair warning: It is clearly alpha software, and you have to accept some problems (like don't even try pausing a Hulu video). Besides that, I haven't had any issues with speed.

Here's one vote for adding Boxee integration into Mythbuntu. It's pretty dang easy to do with some edits to the MythTV menus and some LIRC files. If not Boxee, perhaps add MythVodka?

Sunflower1970
January 22nd, 2009, 08:20 PM
I have boxee set up on one of my comptuers at home. I really like it...only I wish Netflix was able to be used with it. I understand Netflix for Linux may come later this year though....or that's the rumor at any rate...

aktiwers
January 22nd, 2009, 08:28 PM
is there any news on a 64-bit version of boxee? I've been waiting on it for ages :(
+1

pt123
January 23rd, 2009, 03:09 AM
I like how Boxee is able to catalog all your videos
Great interface
Lots of good internet resources

pity about the major mp3 bug

lubeck
January 24th, 2009, 02:54 AM
I like how Boxee is able to catalog all your videos
Great interface
Lots of good internet resources

pity about the major mp3 bug
Agree with you. For an Alpha, it is fun to play with.

I had a lot of crashing, and got a bit discouraged, until I started selecting the "More Info" for my Music albums or Pics to get a listing of specific files before hitting ENTER. Hitting an ENTER at local Folder or Album level brings on a black stall, hard freeze and weird things. It still crashes for me on local Video.
Strangely, my entire collection is in MP3 (if not .wav) format and I have no problems with playing stuff except as above. Weird...but that's Ubuntu sometimes (in my case Intrepid, 8.10 on AMDx2 5900 machine). Audio and video can be darn peculiar.
Regards.

asphixmx
March 11th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I want to install it in a Pentium III with 256 mb of ram. Any one knows if the interface will be very slow? Thanks.

doas777
March 11th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I want to install it in a Pentium III with 256 mb of ram. Any one knows if the interface will be very slow? Thanks.
boxee will probably not be too much slower than any other app on that box, but much video these days won't run right/smoothly on that cpu. so no, not a boxee problem, but perhaps a showstopper nonetheless.