PDA

View Full Version : [Project] run

smif1984
January 18th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Hi all,

this is the official thread of my python project. It is a small utility to launch programs and to open files. It is a powerful substitute for the alt+f2 run dialog built-in into Gnome, which i didn't like very much.

It features tab completion for commands found in PATH and for pathnames and a command history as well.

I will keep this thread updated with news and release announcements, but you can post to report bugs or to make suggestions.

You can download it from:
http://www.gtk-apps.org/content/show.php/run?content=96644

Cheers

jespdj
January 19th, 2009, 02:31 PM
A kind of application launcher? Do you know that there are already several of those, for example GNOME Do (http://do.davebsd.com/)?

smif1984
January 19th, 2009, 08:03 PM
A kind of application launcher? Do you know that there are already several of those, for example GNOME Do (http://do.davebsd.com/)?

HI,
yes i know that, i just wanted to write a simple program to launch programs and open files without having to install tons of mono libraries. Moreover it's more a programming exercise than a complete project. Anyway it works quite fine for me, it does the job i want from an application launcher.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Davide

spupy
January 20th, 2009, 02:22 AM
HI,
yes i know that, i just wanted to write a simple program to launch programs and open files without having to install tons of mono libraries. Moreover it's more a programming exercise than a complete project. Anyway it works quite fine for me, it does the job i want from an application launcher.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Davide

A++, will run again! :)

Although I have two notes:
- If a pattern is unique, why not auto-complete it to the end? That could save a lot of tabbing.
- If I type "/ho" and press Tab, it gets auto-completed to "/home", which is good, but the cursor doesn't move to the end, which is bad (when I start typing the next folder).

smif1984
January 20th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Yes, you are not the first one making this point to me. I'll find a solution for this for the next release. Keep it up!

smif1984
January 20th, 2009, 02:26 PM
A++, will run again! :)

Although I have two notes:
- If a pattern is unique, why not auto-complete it to the end? That could save a lot of tabbing.
- If I type "/ho" and press Tab, it gets auto-completed to "/home", which is good, but the cursor doesn't move to the end, which is bad (when I start typing the next folder).

I've just finished to implement this feature. Actually is quite useful :)

Cheers

spupy
January 21st, 2009, 12:57 AM
I've just finished to implement this feature. Actually is quite useful :)

Cheers

Please post here when you upload new version. Thanks :)

smif1984
January 31st, 2009, 06:36 PM
Hi all,
i've released a new version, check it out!!!

spupy
January 31st, 2009, 07:04 PM
Hi all,
i've released a new version, check it out!!!

Great! Autocompletion works so much better.
Although something strange is going on. If I type "/usr/bin/gedit" for example, it makes firefox ask me to save the file. :O Pictures open in firefox as well, which is kinda good. Do you try to open non-executable with the associated program? Because that would be awesome.

smif1984
January 31st, 2009, 07:23 PM
Hi,
all files are opened with the default application by means of the program xdg-open, installed by default in ubuntu. This works with directories, e.g. /home/ , and other types of files but the default application depends on your settings. Actually /usr/bin/gedit is a binary file so there shouldn't be any default application: you can see this by running my program in a terminal, and trying to open the binary file. The output is:

Error showing url: No application is registered as handling this file

Actually you should run "gedit" instead of /usr/bin/gedit, otherwise my program will try to open the file, not to run it.

Cheers

P.S. pictures open with eog in my case...

Hells_Dark
January 31st, 2009, 07:26 PM
I use gmrun..
autocompletion,etc.

spupy
January 31st, 2009, 07:45 PM
Hi,
all files are opened with the default application by means of the program xdg-open, installed by default in ubuntu. This works with directories, e.g. /home/ , and other types of files but the default application depends on your settings. Actually /usr/bin/gedit is a binary file so there shouldn't be any default application: you can see this by running my program in a terminal, and trying to open the binary file. The output is:

Error showing url: No application is registered as handling this file

Actually you should run "gedit" instead of /usr/bin/gedit, otherwise my program will try to open the file, not to run it.

Cheers

P.S. pictures open with eog in my case...

Yeah, I'm using Gentoo, so everything is little crazy here. :) It seems the error was on my side.

smif1984
February 3rd, 2009, 04:18 PM
Fixed a bug handling whitespaces in filenames. I've released a new version. :)

smif1984
February 3rd, 2009, 04:21 PM
I use gmrun..
autocompletion,etc.

Actually my program is very similar to gmrun with the the difference in how you search through history. I didn't like ctrl+r, so i implemented my own ideas.

sujoy
February 3rd, 2009, 04:35 PM
is this on sourceforge, launchpad or any such place? i am always looking for simple apps to get my hands dirty :). not that i am a competent coder, but i'd like to try

smif1984
February 3rd, 2009, 04:47 PM
is this on sourceforge, launchpad or any such place? i am always looking for simple apps to get my hands dirty :). not that i am a competent coder, but i'd like to try

you can find it here!

http://www.gtk-apps.org/content/show.php/run?content=96644

cheers!

sujoy
February 3rd, 2009, 04:59 PM
ok, thanks

antistress
March 24th, 2009, 03:17 AM
i will give Run a try since i don't want any mono application running on my system either (by the way people can try jBrout instead of F-Spot it's amazing)

what about making shorcuts more discoverable for new users ?

The GUI could precise them :

run command _ o X
|_________________________________________________ |
Insert command xxx matches found
o Run in terminal (ctrl+enter) o Run as root (shift+enter) Cancel Run

Mehall
March 24th, 2009, 03:23 AM
quick comment: gmrun doesn't have mono dependencies, I don't believe. I think it has less dependencies than most any Python app could ever achieve, thoguh i can;t say for sure, not having installed this app, and already ahving python on my system for something else.

sujoy
March 24th, 2009, 06:23 AM
gmrun

Depends On : gtk2 popt
data from pacman :)