PDA

View Full Version : PC to PS2

Scoot67
January 18th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Is there anyone out there, who can tell me how I can take my PC games and change the format so they can be played on my PS2. Also how can I copy a PS2 game I have to preserve it (Use will always result in scratches). Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks Anyone and all:confused:

mips
January 18th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Is there anyone out there, who can tell me how I can take my PC games and change the format so they can be played on my PS2.

You can not do that. The use totally different architectures.

Also how can I copy a PS2 game I have to preserve it (Use will always result in scratches). Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks Anyone and all:confused:

I don't think this forum is the place to ask that as it is walking a fine line they would try to avoid here. Best to google that.

Thirtysixway
January 18th, 2009, 06:18 PM
You would need a modchip to play burned dvd games on your ps2. Try a search on google for ps2 modchips, and you'll find what you need.

I've thought about getting one but it's not like I have a DVD burner to burn games anyway. What I really want is the linux kit for ps2 to turn it into a linux machine. Then it would have more use ;)

Tomosaur
January 18th, 2009, 06:37 PM
You cannot use a PC game on the PS2, forget about that altogether. You CAN use PS2 games on the PC, if you can find a PS2 emulator, but not the other way around.

As for copying the CDs - I would imagine you could make a disk image fairly easily, but I don't know the specifics as I've never bothered to try.

SomeGuyDude
January 18th, 2009, 06:46 PM
You're asking sort of the equivalent of "how can I convert my copy of Final Cut on my Mac so I can run it on my PC?" The simple answer is: completely re-code it by hand.

init1
January 18th, 2009, 08:23 PM
You could install Linux on it, then play the games with WINE, but I don't think hardware acceleration works yet.

hessiess
January 18th, 2009, 08:27 PM
You could install Linux on it, then play the games with WINE, but I don't think hardware acceleration works yet.

Wouldn't work, WINE depends on the X86 arch, which the PS2 doesn't use. It may be possible to emulate a X86 system on the PS2, but you would be lucky to get a frame every 10 seconds or more.

hoopz23
January 18th, 2009, 08:37 PM
i don't think PC to PS2 is possible :-k

but PS2 to PC is possible with an emulator i think

init1
January 18th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Wouldn't work, WINE depends on the X86 arch, which the PS2 doesn't use. It may be possible to emulate a X86 system on the PS2, but you would be lucky to get a frame every 10 seconds or more.
Ah ok. Didn't realize that WINE doesn't work on PPC.

Thirtysixway
January 18th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I didn't notice you wanted PC games on ps2, I thought you meant copies of ps2 games from your computer.

I doubt this would be possible because of the memory limits on ps2, but what about running something like virtualbox or vmware on the ps2. Linux -> virtualbox -> windows -> pc game

blueshiftoverwatch
January 19th, 2009, 04:57 AM
I've thought about getting one but it's not like I have a DVD burner to burn games anyway. What I really want is the linux kit for ps2 to turn it into a linux machine. Then it would have more use ;)
The Playstation 2 only has a 294MHz processor and 32MB of RAM. If you want to install Linux with the intention of using your PS2 as a hobby desktop computer I don't think you're going to have a whole lot of fun there. The main reason Sony released the Linux Kit for PS2 (which was discontinued in 2003 and goes for $200-600 on Ebay) was for amateur software development. But that's not to say that that there might not be unofficial ways of getting Linux installed. But the only reason I could see for someone wanting to run Linux on their PS2 is so that they could say that they're running Linux on their PS2. Because otherwise you could just buy a very old desktop computer with similar hardware specs, install a very minimalist distribution, and than get a cable to export the audio/video to your TV set.

fissionmailed
January 19th, 2009, 06:38 AM
About copying games. I've done this to try to play games I own on my PS2. For some reason the holes in the center of the CD/DVDs are too large and the PS2 doesn't spin them. I sent it back to Sony 4 or 5 times but it always "worked" for them. But without modding the PS2 it isn't possible to play copies.

Scoot67
January 19th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Thanks, Thirtysixway!! I appreciate this.

Scoot67
January 19th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Actually Thanks to everyone of you, for giving me the much needed advice.
I appreciate it. I'm pretty new at this, and am thankful for all the advice.

3rdalbum
January 19th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Ah ok. Didn't realize that WINE doesn't work on PPC.

The PS2 isn't even based on PPC - I think it's a MIPS or something like that. In any case, Windows programs and games are compiled with x86 instructions and nothing but an x86 processor will run them without hardware emulation.

mips
January 19th, 2009, 12:28 PM
The PS2 isn't even based on PPC - I think it's a MIPS or something like that. In any case, Windows programs and games are compiled with x86 instructions and nothing but an x86 processor will run them without hardware emulation.

It's an Emotion Engine using MIPS III & IV instruction sets and a whole lot of other custom stuff. It's basically a custom designed CPU that you are not going to find anywhere else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion_Engine#Description