PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] pressing gnome minimize button doesn't always minimize all windows

Cdwijs
January 18th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Hi All,

I run ubuntu 8.10, with compiz enabled. Sometimes when i press the button on the lower-left, not all windows minimize. After pressing the button a second time, all windows do minimize.

I'll see if i can find a way to reproduce the above events.

In the meantime, are there more people who have seen this?

My system:
Ubuntu 8.10, Dell Vostro 1710, Nvidia videocard running nvidia drivers,

Best regards,
Cedric

gettinoriginal
January 18th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Button on lower left ?? This is new to me, mine is upper right, unless I totally misunderstand what you are trying to do. :confused: Even if you can take a screenshot of a window so we can see where your buttons are located might help. :P

Cdwijs
January 18th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I see where the confusion comes from. The minimize button on a window is indeed top-right, but i don want to minimize one window, i want to minimize all windows.

I have added a screenshot with a red arrow to the button i was referring to.

Best regards,
Cedric

gettinoriginal
January 18th, 2009, 05:55 PM
oh, the "show desktop" applet. I see you have 20 windows open in that one screen, maybe that is why ?? I really don't know. Try with only 10 open, if you find that it reacts to the number of windows open, then you may want to consider adding more workspaces and dividing up how much you have open in one workspace. :P

revilodraw
February 4th, 2009, 12:44 AM
i have the same problem.

also, sometimes when i click on the show desktop button i get logged out to a black screen, i open up a new terminal, 'alt+f2' and try 'startx' sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt and i have to restart...mega annoying..

_MsG_
February 5th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I think this is a feature. It always minimizes IF all windows are maximized. But if all windows are maximized but one isn't maximized it will first maximize all windows again. After another click it will minimize it all then. Pretty annoying feature if you ask me. Fedore does it the way Windows does it and they way I like it. I still find a way to change it.

markt9
August 10th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Sure would be nice if there was an option somewhere I could get to that would make it always minimize all windows on the current desktop. My old IBM keyboard does not have a "Windows" button, and that is the only way I know to quickly get to my desktop.

memeri
October 5th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Yes, does anyone find "unminimize all windows" to be useful? It would be nice to change this.

memeri
October 5th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Yes, does anyone find "unminimize all windows" to be useful? It would be nice to change this.

I think I spoke too soon. It is behaving the way I like it now (most recent jaunty) -- restoring only the windows that it previously minimized.

memeri
October 22nd, 2009, 06:35 PM
I think I spoke too soon. It is behaving the way I like it now (most recent jaunty) -- restoring only the windows that it previously minimized.

Oops! In fact, it behaves unpredictably, as far as I can tell. If a few but not all windows are open it sometimes minimizes all, sometimes opens all. Still annoying.