PDA

View Full Version : Question about applications

akimatsu123
January 18th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Hi,

I am new to Ubuntu and Linux. I've been using ubuntu for several weeks now, and one thing has always puzzled me. Where are the programs installed to, and how are they executed?

In windows, all applications are installed to "Program Files" in their separate folder. In each folder, there is an executable .exe file that starts the program.

Is it the same in linux? Would I be able to find an executable somewhere that I can simply double click? Or is it different? There are so many folders under "/" I find that very confusing.

Also, do the multitude of folders under "/" serve specialized tasks? By this I mean for example "/etc" stores files for a certain purpose, "/usr" stores files for another purpose, etc. Where can I learn more about the linux file system?

infinitejones
January 18th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Where can I learn more about the linux file system?

Google is your friend! Here's the first result (http://www.freeos.com/articles/3102/) when you Google for "linux file system" which looks like it's gives a good rundown of your second question.

Not being funny but if you're new to Linux/Ubuntu, and you want to find out how it all works, you'll be searching Google (and ubuntuforums.com) a lot. I made the switch from Windows about three years ago and I'm still finding myself searching for the answers to questions every day. Posting questions like yours on Ubuntu Forums is pretty much always guaranteed to get you an answer (eventually) but finding your own answer first is much more satisfying!