PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Alternate way to get updates than update manager?

coolethan
January 18th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Normally when i'm downloading anything from the internet i can get upwards of 150+ Kb/s but through the update manager it never exceeds 20 Kb/s sometimes it goes as low as 250 B/s! Is there some other way to get updates that will implement my bandwidth to it's full capabilities?

taurus
January 18th, 2009, 05:40 AM
It depends on which server you are downloading from. Do you happen to use the Canadian server?

Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

coolethan
January 18th, 2009, 06:07 AM
i just click the "ya, sure, get updates whatever just hurry the hell up" button. i'm also not real sure what i'm supposed to determine from using that code

abn91c
January 18th, 2009, 06:08 AM
change repositories to the USA or main servers

taurus
January 18th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Run that command from a terminal and it would display your source list. Check to see if there are ca. in the repos.

WizMedic
January 18th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Go into your terminal and type:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

That is what I use and seems to get more updates than update manager.

Good luck!

coolethan
January 18th, 2009, 06:15 AM
deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid multiverse

so does that mean it's coming from the canadian server because ya i live in canada so that should be a good thing then, that still doesn't explain why it's so bloody slow.

taurus
January 18th, 2009, 06:20 AM
The Canadian server has been running real sloooooow (or sometimes not even running at all) for the last few months or so. So, if you want a faster server, go into System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager -> Settings -> Repositories and change to the Main Server. That should give you a max speed download.

coolethan
January 18th, 2009, 06:29 AM
i probably shouldn't change the repository during an update download, which is what i'm doing now. 125 of 225 updates so far, yaay! ya i had to reinstall so now i'm trying to catch my system back up again. i just realized that i can't actually change it while in the middle of a download because synaptic won't open when another client is open

coolethan
January 18th, 2009, 06:36 AM
if i cancel the current download will that just stop it on whatever update its getting right now or will it demolish all the other updates that i've gotten already. i don't want to have to start from scratch again