PDA

View Full Version : [mythbuntu] DVD mounts but won't play

jpyeck
January 17th, 2009, 11:35 PM
This is my first problem that I haven't been able to research my way to a solution... My thanks to this forum for their previous solutions, and hopefully you'll have some input on this one too!

I recently upgraded my Mythbuntu box from 7.10 thru 8.04 to 8.10. One strange thing happened... my SCSI DVD drive changed logical name with my second HDD, which messed up my fstab mount points. Originally I had HDDs at sda and sdb with the DVD drive at something else (I can't remember any more) Now I have HDDs at sda and sdc and the DVD at sdb. I was able to fix my fstab to get that working. My fstab for reference:

# /dev/sda1
UUID=c419dd00-c140-48ff-9ea8-e321346c815b / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro,relatime 0 1
# /dev/sda5
UUID=9af36d5b-804a-4905-8278-d6acefd45ab6 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0
/dev/sdc1 /mythdata ext3 defaults,relatime 0 0

Now my DVD drive will not play DVDs. I can insert a DVD, see it mounted on the desktop, but not play via MythTV/Xine/VLC. Xine and VLC give errors about not being able to access the drive at dvd:// (side note, is there a link to dvd:// set somewhere? It's impossible to google "dvd://" and get relevant results since google ignores punctuation.) They seem to be defaulting to /dev/scd0 (which I don't have) and I don't have a sym link at /dev/dvd either.

My research so far has had me looking at lshw. lshw -C disk results here:

*-disk:0
description: ATA Disk
product: WDC WD1600AAJS-6
vendor: Western Digital
physical id: 0
bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/sda
version: 21.1
serial: WD-WCAP94108871
size: 149GiB (160GB)
capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=0000dcd8
*-disk:1
description: SCSI Disk
product: DVD-E616A3T
vendor: ASUS
physical id: 1
bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/sdb
version: 1.10
size: 7845MiB (8226MB)
capabilities: removable
configuration: ansiversion=5
*-medium
*-disk:2
description: ATA Disk
product: WDC WD5000AACS-0
vendor: Western Digital
physical id: 0.0.0
bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/sdc
version: 05.0
serial: WD-WCAUF0361501
size: 465GiB (500GB)
capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=1f547973

I'm concerned that the "capabilities" for my DVD drive show nothing other than "capabilities: removable". I have read it should be something like "capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r".

Is my drive dead/dying or did the SATA-shift mess up some pointers or configuration?

mc4man
January 18th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Is my drive dead/dying
No. I'd think your drive is fine.
Actually i can't resist giving this a bit of a bump, never seen a dvd drive detected as a disk drive.

What may be interesting to see is if the drive was ever seen as a cdrom device. When upgrading, the ...cd.rules file isn't redone, just appended to, so if the drive is listed in there it was, at some point, seen as a cdrom and given some /dev links

cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules

Did you have media in the drive when you ran the lshw? It doesn't indicate a mount point other than possibly /media/disk-1

I can insert a DVD, see it mounted on the desktop
If you right click on the icon -> properties -> volume, what info does if give? (mount point, mount options, file system

If you were to take the mount point shown and use that in vlc (/media/whatever), can you get playback.

it also may be interesting if you were to comment out the line in fstab, insert a dvd and reboot with the disk in the drive, does anything change in lshw?

jpyeck
January 18th, 2009, 03:58 PM
mc4man, thanks for your reply. I tried some of your hints... the results are below.

cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules

My ...cd.rules results:

ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:12.0-scsi-1:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="cdrom", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:12.0-scsi-1:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="dvd", ENV{GENERATED}="1"

Did you have media in the drive when you ran the lshw? It doesn't indicate a mount point other than possibly /media/disk-1

Yes, I had a "Bourne Identity" DVD in the drive.

If you right click on the icon -> properties -> volume, what info does if give? (mount point, mount options, file system

I didn't see "volume" info as an option, though at the command line I can see the disk at /media/BOURNE_IDENTITY.

If you were to take the mount point shown and use that in vlc (/media/whatever), can you get playback.

Using /media/BOURNE_IDENTITY in vlc still doesn't work, opened as disk or as directory.

it also may be interesting if you were to comment out the line in fstab, insert a dvd and reboot with the disk in the drive, does anything change in lshw?

I tried this too.

# /dev/sda1
UUID=c419dd00-c140-48ff-9ea8-e321346c815b / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro,relatime 0 1
# /dev/sda5
UUID=9af36d5b-804a-4905-8278-d6acefd45ab6 none swap sw 0 0
#/dev/sdb1 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0
/dev/sdc1 /mythdata ext3 defaults,relatime 0 0

The lshw results are below. Seems the only new thing is the second logical name.

*-disk:1
description: SCSI Disk
product: DVD-E616A3T
vendor: ASUS
physical id: 1
bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
logical name: /media/BOURNE_IDENTITY
version: 1.10
capabilities: removable
configuration: ansiversion=5 mount.fstype=udf mount.options=ro,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,utf8 state=mounted
*-medium
configuration: mount.fstype=udf mount.options=ro,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,utf8 state=mounted

Any more thoughts?

mc4man
January 18th, 2009, 09:05 PM
A couple of observations

As far as the ...cd.rules
A drive was once detected as a cdrom, though certainly not in 8.04 or 8.10 where you would see more info than the 2 lines you show.

Actually your last lshw shows a significant change
Orig.

Note no file system and mount shown
Current

*-medium
configuration: mount.fstype=udf mount.options=ro,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,utf8 state=mounted

This is what you'd expect from dvd media and in this state technically you should be able to access and playback.
You could test this by trying vlc again. Note that playback in vlc 0.9.x is somewhat broken when telling vlc to open a dir.

A more solid test would be to open /media/BOURNE_IDENTITY in a window, open vlc from a terminal, and drag the VIDEO_TS folder onto vlc.

I don't have any setups with a sata dvd drive but I'd think it should be detected as a cdrom device rather than a disk drive. If so, how you force or adjust this I don't know.
It's possible a change in your bios settings is needed but to advise on bios from afar is tricky.

The other possibility is that a fresh install of 8.10 would resolve this.
I see 3 possible outcomes from that:
Everything is good as it should be
You get the same setup as now
Your dvd drive isn't found at all

What I'd be inclined to do is get a live cd of 8.10 and boot up to it. Then ck. ....cd.rules and ..lshw to see how the drive is detected.

trubblemaker
February 15th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Here' a magic incantation I found that got my dvd drive to work

sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh

It's a work around for the legality of commercial encoding of dvd's.... Hope it helps..