PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] KDE half-done?

gaalaaant
January 17th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Okay so I just tried KDE (I was used to GNOME) and while I know you can change the themes and artwork, in all aspects it seems a little "half-done" compared to GNOME. From speed to the layout of the Kubuntu drop out menu, it just feels a little sluggish and unfinished. I mean its nice, don't get me wrong, but does anyone else feel it could've been done a bit better?

ender4
January 17th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I agree, i just tried it out as well, and while i really like the user interface, it seems a little buggy, and is missing some simple feature like the ability to hide the taskbar (either automatically or manually).

kellemes
January 18th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Hiding the taskbar is implemented already.. you just need to grab the latest beta or wait until the next stable release.
http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-4.2-beta1.php

txcrackers
January 18th, 2009, 10:34 PM
The one Release Candidate is out - still a bit buggy, but lots of configuration options are back/new, speed has improved. Final release of 4.2 is supposed to be the end of this month.

ibutho
January 18th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Personally I find KDE3 to be more feature rich than GNOME and very customisable. KDE4 was a complete rewrite of many KDE components and thats why it may contain bugs and some features may not be complete. Another problem is that the KDE implementation in Kubuntu is not up to par as the KDE in Mandriva, openSUSE, Arch and Fedora.

RedMartin
January 18th, 2009, 11:08 PM
I did a fresh install of Kubuntu 8.10 on Saturday. I was back to vanilla Ubuntu early on Sunday morning.

Personally I loved the whole KDE look and feel but the complete Kubuntu package felt lacking.

I'll be grabbing 4.2 as soon as it's done though and I'll just use it with Ubuntu.

noelvh
January 18th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I have been using Kubuntu for the last 2 years, and just moved to Ubuntu.
See I love the new KDE, and I was running KDE 4.2 beta 2, and with some tweaks it was very good. I like the clean look and feel of the hole new KDE 4.2 b2. What sent me away is all the bugs, and it is slower than Ubuntu. I did a clean install, and updated to the 4.2 b2 before I started to install any thing. This was good for about a month, then the bugs cam out to play. I did not mind till I wanted to get back to my other hobbies, and did not want to spend the time messing with Kubuntu. I install Ub, with all the app I use in about 3 hours. Kb took about a full day to get it the way I wanted it.

So I will try the 9.4 release but I am loving Ub right now.

Noel

megajosh2
January 19th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Just got kubuntu-kde4-desktop yesterday. I wouldn't call it half-done, but there's little things, like some icons on the panel (such as Kopete) have a black box on them instead of transparency, and a 12-hour digital clock would be a plus.

EDIT: I just noticed the tabs look really bad in Firefox, plus the default buttons, checkboxes, radios, etc don't look very good either. :(

noelvh
January 19th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Just got kubuntu-kde4-desktop yesterday. I wouldn't call it half-done, but there's little things, like some icons on the panel (such as Kopete) have a black box on them instead of transparency, and a 12-hour digital clock would be a plus.

EDIT: I just noticed the tabs look really bad in Firefox, plus the default buttons, checkboxes, radios, etc don't look very good either. :(

As for the tray icons they get much better under KDE 4.2 b2, much much better. As for the firefox look you have to set the gtk look to qt4 I think then it looks fine. It under kde look I am not sure ware I wish I still had an install to check. My work computer dose but I will have to wait till tomorrow for me to look.

I must warn you that if you go to the KDE 4.2 beta do from a clean install, and not use the one you are using now. Once you install apps under the base KDE, then upgrade it get quite buggy.

the first time I did the KDE 4.2 upgrade it crashed every 5 minutes or so. Once I did the clean upgrade, it did not start to crash for a month.

Noel

megajosh2
January 19th, 2009, 03:10 AM
As for the tray icons they get much better under KDE 4.2 b2, much much better. As for the firefox look you have to set the gtk look to qt4 I think then it looks fine. It under kde look I am not sure ware I wish I still had an install to check. My work computer dose but I will have to wait till tomorrow for me to look.

I must warn you that if you go to the KDE 4.2 beta do from a clean install, and not use the one you are using now. Once you install apps under the base KDE, then upgrade it get quite buggy.

the first time I did the KDE 4.2 upgrade it crashed every 5 minutes or so. Once I did the clean upgrade, it did not start to crash for a month.

Noel

I made sure it was set to Qt4, still doesn't work. I guess I'll have to settle for a new Firefox theme until things get sorted out.

EDIT: Once I tried Glossy, everything was fine. :|