PDA

View Full Version : Encouraging Washington To Look At Open Source

t3chn0b0y
January 17th, 2009, 11:18 PM
As linux users I think its important that washington understands the importance of open source software... and the effects of what an open source open mind policy can do for our education system, voting booths etc.. and at the citizen's briefing book (http://citizensbriefingbook.change.gov/ideas/viewIdea.apexp?id=087800000004luF&srPos=2&srKp=087) at change.gov we can let Obama know what we think matters. who knows if enough people encourage open source we might be able to stop paying taxes on proprietry software which only pays for more and more minds to be closed, and less opportunities..

oldsoundguy
January 17th, 2009, 11:31 PM
You need to do some deeper research.
Navy fire control computers are Linux/Unix based
Army fire control computers are Linux/Unix based
Most field computers are Linux/Unix based .. because of the COST and the reliability factors. (nothing worse than a BSOD when the baddies are bearing down on you!)
All fly by wire computers are propriatary software driven.

BUT, they are custom designed enterprise type systems and are beholden to NO particular build of Linux/Unix.

scottac
January 20th, 2009, 06:19 AM
You need to do some deeper research.
Navy fire control computers are Linux/Unix based
Army fire control computers are Linux/Unix based
Most field computers are Linux/Unix based .. because of the COST and the

I am a newb to Linux myself. But this is exactly correct. I was a Navy FC (Fire Controlman) and both of the weapon systems I worked on were Unix Based.

bryncoles
January 21st, 2009, 11:38 AM
well, theres always more room for more open source. looks like anyway, as sun is apparently trying to encourage obama to be more open-source!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7841486.stm

Open source does not require you to pay a penny to Microsoft or IBM or Oracle or any proprietary vendor any money

Mr McNealy told the BBC he wants to ensure the government does not get "locked in" to one specific vendor or company.

"The government ought to mandate open source products based on open source reference implementations to improve security, get higher quality software, lower costs, higher reliability - all the benefits that come with open software."

Meanwhile research firm Gartner has warned that the benefits of open source might not deliver unless properly managed.