PDA

View Full Version : [other] A quick question regarding wireless...

damis648
January 17th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Okay. I have a 6mib/s internet connection at my home. Now say I have a wireless N device (320mib/s) and a wireless G device (54mib/s), as well as a gigabit wired connection. Ideally, shouldn't all three get the same speed over the internet (ie. via speedtest.net) at 6mib/s? (NOT referring to connnection to the router, which obviously is 320mib/s, 54mb/s and 1gib/s respectively).

Thanks for the help, you could help me settle an argument. :popcorn:
(Unless of course I am wrong, which would put me in a bit of a pickle)

nixscripter
January 18th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Individually, yes. Simultaneously, no. And that's in an ideal world.

I've got a 10 MiB/s network in my house, but I get 3 MiB/s most of the time, 4 tops, for internal transfers. Why? Because my hard disks are slow.

The other thing to consider, especially for wireless devices, is that the 54 MiB/s is an average, sustained rate. If you just ping something, it may take 10 seconds once, and 100 seconds the second time. Signal attenuates fast with distance, and there may be retransmits involved you're not even aware of.

There are a few other things too (shielding on cables, processing speed of software, etc.), but hopefully that should answer your question.

blothian
January 18th, 2009, 10:08 PM
as well as a gigabit wired connection.

It would be an average on 100mbits/sec. It would that an average on 10.24seconds to transfer 1Gb
Just pointing out.

Ben:)