PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Screen goes blank during install.

Flufflebuns
January 17th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I have an old Sony Vaio I am trying to load Ubuntu onto.

I start up with the Ubuntu 8.10 disk, select English as the language, then select Install Ubuntu. The bar goes back and forth for a couple minutes then loads left to right. As the progress bar reaches the right the screen flickers a bunch of times then just turns blank and nothing shows up. I have let it sit for long periods of time and it stays blank, not allowing me to select any further options.

Nothing has yet installed as I can still boot up windows. I thought it might be the version or the disk so I DLed and burned Xubuntu and have the same problem.

I thought it might be Energy Saving mechanism, but I went into windows and made sure that it was all off (meaning no auto-screen shut
off).

Any help is appreciated, this computer is running unbelievably slow, and I really want to wipe it fresh with Ubuntu.

Thanks.

huruixd
January 17th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I had the same problem with you when I was installing Ubuntu 8.10 on a Acer TravelMate C100 Tablet PC. I tried the alternate CD, but it still went black screen. So, I had to install Ubuntu 8.04 instead. According to a guy's description, I find out the problem is that there is a change to X from 8.04 to 8.10, so I adopted a lower version and so far, everything goes well.

Here is the link to the guy's description:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6262035

Hope it will help you.

Flufflebuns
January 18th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Thanks for the advice, but I had the same problem loading 8.04!